To Ford or not to Ford

I've been searching for a new car, actually an SUV. I'm debating on a Ford Escape, but since I have certain needs to be met I am hoping someone can help me. I'm in charge of contractors in a large home improvement retailer. I need a vechicle which is not only dependable, but can handle rough terrain since I visit job sites. I'm also debating over new or used, my last "new" car was dented in the first month I had it parked at work. Yesterday I test drove a Ford Escape, 2003, 25000 mi, with a factory warranty. I have done research, but I would rather have info from someone with first hand knowledge. I've been told since I live near mountains I need to take that into consideration, not sure as to why, I'm assuming it's due to winter weather, salt etc. I'm not a Ford fan, but if it meets my needs I will consider it. I have test driven, Sportage, CRV, and a Liberty, so far I'm leaning towards the Escape. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Reply to
Nicki

The escape is a cute little SUV, but its NOT exactly off road rugged. The trannies have been a week point too. Buy the factory Extended warranty if you buy one. You may even opt for the hybrid if your green.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

In the last 12 months I have rented about 12-15 Explorers, Escapes, and Blazers. The worst vehicles in terms of power and comfort have been Blazers. The best have been Explorers. The most stable have been the 4wd's. IMO, Escape is a great small SUV and I may end up buying one for myself. It is comfortable & easily maintains 115 mph on the back roads of Texas. Also goes through the muck at construction sites with no problem. Interior space is not a lot, however. All my diesel fuel system equipment and two suitcases is about it.

Reply to
« Paul »

I don't mean to a pain, but an SUV is NOT a car, it is a truck.

Horrors! I hope you sued the bastard and pressed crimminal charges. ;-)

I think you would be fine with any of these trucks. As long as you get four-wheel drive.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I would never buy an extended warranty. The company sells them to make money. They pay out far less in repairs than they take in. And the dealership gets a chunk of the money, too.

An extended warranty is just an over-priced insurance policy.

Not recommended.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I will agree with you on aftermarket ones. But i stand by buying the Ford factory extended care plan for this one. Especially an all wheel drive car that can have any repair been very expensive. Buts its all a matter whether you feel lucky or not.......

In any case, do you own research on google or such for Ford, Escape, transmission, trouble or problems.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

That was always my view and I got pissed off when my husband spent $1300 on an extended warranty on a 2002 GMC Sonoma pickup. That thing has already paid for itself in 4 months. This piece of crap still isn't fixed and ready to go into the shop for a third time........the first trip cost us $100 on a $900 repair bill and the second cost us $36 on a $300 repair bill........

amy

Reply to
Amy D

$900 - $100 = $800 $300 - $36 = $64.

$864 is less than $1300. So how has it paid for itself?

Plus, you have to get the work done by GMC dealership. Dealerships tend to be expensive.

Plus, if you had bought one for every vehicle that you bought, would you be ahead or behind?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

And the one that is sold by one is essentially an aftermarket insurance policy. It is sold by the dealer, but as an expensive add-on.

The Escape is a truck.

You will occaisonally lose by not getting this insurance. Over the long haul, you will come out ahead, way ahead, over several vehicles.

I did. In the first 5 pages (of ten items each) I saw two articles about transmission problems. THe question is with 100,000s of Escapes and Tributes on the road, what proportion of them have transmission problems?

If the truck has all those problems, even with an insurance policy, does the buyer really want to have to deal with a mechanic and lose use of the truck for several days, have to do deal with towing, etc.?

Go Boston!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Bullshit The escape is a subcompact sport utility! It is NOT by any stretch of the imagination a truck...

Reply to
351CJ

Extended plans are on the average a 68% profit to the companies. Keep in mind a $900.00 repair bill is what it would cost you. It's all in cost vs retail. If you are having alot of problems with a vehicle, I would certainly check into the lemon law. ESPs are a gamble, I purchaed one on my new computer 2 years ago. Just recently I was working on reports and it crashed, hours of my time totally gone. To have it serviced was going to take a month, but since I need it daily because I network into my work, I argued the fact that I purchased the plan to avoid this kind of situation, so now I have a new computer. Did it pay for itself? You betcha! As for my search on a new SUV, after much research I'm going back to Hyundai, no one can beat the Santa Fe warranty. My 2000 Elantra has been great, I only had a couple minor problems with it. The guys in their service department had me back on the road in no time. At one time I had a loose wire, their service manager took 3 trips to come fix it, so it would be done before my work day was over. Thanks for all your input :) Nicki

Reply to
Nicki

It is licensed and regulated as a truck.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Not in this state! It is licensed like a car and insured as a sport utility... Here and in neighboring states you can legally park in a loading zone with a TRUCK license plate on your truck. You pay tonnage on that truck plate, and you can't get that truck plate on an SUV...

Reply to
351CJ