Too many dealers

Page 2 of 6
philthy wrote:

Which is one of the reasons I do my own work whenever possible.
I happen to have a '99 Concorde with a bad evaporator now, and I still have no regrets not having extended coverage.
really ? wait till you pull that dash or pay the repair bill
Bill Putney wrote:

philthy wrote:

> really ? wait till you pull that dash or pay the repair bill
Yep - I've read thru the procedure in the FSM a couple of times, and I've been into certain areas of the dash already for other things, so I know what to expect. I realize it won't be fun at all, but I also shudder to think of the problems a careless tech could leave behind and the endless loop of trying to get the problems fixed until I give up and re-do it myself (in which case, I might as well do it myself to begin with). BTDT. :)

In support, yes you can save a lot of money with DIY.. I am now pulling the evaporator core out of my 97 Dodge full sized van. I read the procedure in the cheapo Chilton and also in AllData. But there is more to it than that. It doesnt just "angle out of the engine compartment". Now I will start taking off crap until I get it out. No telling how far that will have to go. Still, I dont need the van much,and it can sit there until I am good and finished.
yep seen that before, then the innards of the ac system become a victim of moisture and result in other failures
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

It is only justified if the cost of repairs exceeds the cost of the insurance (it is sold like insurance, a service contract pays for actual services). Considering the typical cost of the policy is about $1200, you need at least one large or two medium expenses to be covered. The total expenses of my last four cars combined would not have made that amount in the first 100,000 miles. As the car gets older and more miles, the cost of the policy goes up making it even less attractive.
If it makes you warm and fuzzy feeling, by all means, buy it. If you are practical and have $500 in the bank to cover repairs, it is a money loser. As I said, a few people may make out on the deal, but most do not. That is how the insurance companies make money.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

More accurately, that wouldn't be covered another another manufacturer program, like a recall.

More accurately, if you are practical and will have $750 in the bank at the end of regular warranty or a credit card with a low APR, it's a money loser, assuming you don't sell the vehicle first and it doesn't get destroyed.

ed what kind of cars to you drive???
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Buicks and an 07 Hyundai Sonata. My '91 Regal had one potentially costly repair under warranty. Out of warranty, a water pump at 80k, a gas tank at 110,000. .I traded it last September with 150,000 miles and it still had the original exhaust. Of course, normal maintenance like brakes and a set of rotors at some point.
My '97 leSabre was back to the shop only once for a warranty repair (wiper motor) and when I traded it at 97,000 miles the only repairs at that point was brakes, serpentine belt. My '01 LeSabre has needed a few things but still not al that much $$$. The rear window lifts, but I did not replace them, a wheel bearing, front rotors were are few hundred. Needed tranny work, but that was far out of regular or extended warranty time. At 110,000 I put in new plugs, wires and a coil. I expect to keep that car for another 5 years or more. Hyundai only has 17,000 miles and has not been back to the dealer for anything so far.
Anything mechanical eventually will wear out and need repair. You have to be financially prepared and aware of that. If you save just a few bucks, say $20 a month, you can cover most costly repairs when they do come up. If you drive 15,000 miles a year, after 4 years you will have no serious repairs not covered and $1000 in the bank. You may or may not ever need that, making it available for other uses. The other choice is to pay that $20 a month more in your car payment for an extended warranty and have paid out $1000 that you will never see again even if you never need a repair. Willing to take the risk and self insure?
In my case, I put 25,000 miles a year so the warranty runs out after 4 years. At about that time the car is replaced and it becomes my wife's car and gets <2000 miles year.
wait till that hyundi timing belt breaks and the valves bend since it is a interference motor they won't warranty that
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

What belt? Mine has a chain. The 3.3 engine is quite nice from what I've seen so far.
Keep up man, the world is passing you by. Hyundai has come a very long way from the rust buckets of 1986.
i was referring to the four cylinder engine
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Even the new 4 cylinders are getting away from the belt. As I said, get with the times. A year ago I laughed at people buying Hyundai, then I took a look. I was astonished at how far they've come and ended up buying one. Two weeks ago I went to lunch with a fellow that owns a Sebring, Camry, Corvette. After riding in my Sonata, he's heading out to the Hyundai dealer also.
buy american the job you save just might be your own in my book buying asian is right up there with treason regardless of who makes a better product.i bet you won't support the troops either! i can't wait till you have to pay those repairs and see how many folks won't touch them and the ones that do charge accordingly
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

First off, it was built by Americans in an American plant with a growing content of American made parts.
As for those that won't touch then for repairs, 40 years ago a few shops didn't have metric wrenches. Now, it seems most of them actually do. I don't expect the repairs to be any more than any other mainstream automobile. I got shafted by Buick enough so I've prepared my sphincter muscle. If my Buick was not falling apart in the driveway, I'd have another right next to it.
As for the troops, I have family members in Iraq and I do support all of them. When you can't make sound logical arguments in a debate you have to resort to name calling like that? You should be ashamed of yourself and your false patriotism.
So I should have bought a Toyota built in Kentucky rather than a Chrysler built in Canada?
Perce
On 06/29/07 08:52 pm philthy wrote:

Or a GM built in Canada :) All 5 of my GM's I own or have owned have been the old vin 2's. The 1 (mistake) of a Ford I owned was a vin 1, go figure.
And if you don't know what that means, look it up ;)
-GV

You are just jealous because Canada has the #1 auto plant in the world. ;-)

Chrysler
;-)
I always figured that Canada and the USA were so close together in many areas that we were more like family kin anyway.
Maybe I am just too cynical in my goldening years, but the sort of ethic and moral that I see in the USA today is not reassuring that we will give anyone strong competition in the future.

I totally agree. When I see a car built in Canada I think it is a good thing. I think the same of a car built in the USA. You know how I feel about car's built in countries other then those.

We will see what the future will hold. I have high hopes the Big Three will come back, we shall see.