Too many dealers

It's easy enough to compare the US system with the Canadian system because Canada is right next door and there is plenty of travel between the two. No system is perfect, and the Canadian system certainly has had its share of problems, but Canada's universal health care system is not the only one in the world. I know that my late parents' health care in UK went from being cheap to being free (not to mention that their dr. made house calls, and they got a non-means-tested allowance for a home help to come cook and clean for them), and an Australian businessman I talked to a while ago was horrified to hear how much we are paying for health insurance; in Australia it's a mere 2.5% surcharge on one's taxable income.

And in the US, even having health insurance doesn't guarantee that the insurance co. will pay. And what happens when an employer decides to switch health plans and "my" physician doesn't participate in the new plan, or the new plan doesn't cover my specific medications?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I don't know the name of the hospital, but one example was in Washington State. My sister in laws younger sister was skiing at Mount Baker. Another person ran into her, and she went into diabetic shock. The hospital would not admit her, until friends coughed up $700.00 in cash.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Reply to
philthy

Certain private hospitals can do that. Community hospitals must take anyone. It depends on how the hospital was chartered. I don't know the details of it all, but it is a sad situation the few times it does happen.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I meant no offence. What do you mean by 'trivial things'?

Reply to
80 Knight

I'm going to call "Bullshit" on that one. That's not how things work. I believe she may have paid the money and I believe she may have been pressed, but those are both different from not being admitted until she coughed up cash. There's more to this story, I'm sure.

BTW - just how did she go into diabetic shock from being hit? That's not how diabetic shock works. There is indeed much more to this story...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Canadians are always telling about long waits for serious issues. Many come down here for services because the waits are so long in Canada. The only immediate benefit seems to be for trivial office visit type of care, not for more critical, and complex issues.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes, there are at times very large waiting lists. It depends on what you need done, and where you live. However, when a Canadian with no insurance comes to the USA to get a procedure done, how much does it cost? I would rather wait in line, then have a system that gives to the rich, and makes the poor wait. Again, no offence intended towards you. Neither system is perfect.

Reply to
80 Knight

If she'd been an illegal alien, they would have been required by law to treat her. So yeah - in that regard our medical system is very screwed up. :)

Bill Putney

Mike - you should know that you are not allowed to call B.S. on someone when they are making a liberal argument. They are allowed to embellish as they see fit and you can't question it.

Bill Putney

Illegal aliens are treated for free - by law they can't be turned down.

Bill Putney

If she was an illegal alien she would have had no problem.

Reply to
<CountFloyd

After the other skier hit her, she slid into a tree with some force. Not badly injured, but she went into diabetic shock. I talked to her a week later, after she was back in Canada. Make what ever call you want, it happened.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

If anything, I understated it , and I am not a liberal ( whatever that means in the US). As for the Canadian system, I have had cancer 3 times, and it served me well.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I don't doubt she had the incident, but it did not cause her to go into diabetic shock Steve. 12 years as a paramedic and I can assure you that diabetic shock is caused by low blood sugar. It has nothing to do with taking a fall or any other similar incident. If she suffered diabetic shock, it was because she was already at a low blood sugar level. That though, would make the two incidents unrelated, only coincidental.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Slow learner, huh Steve? Well listen buddy - three's a charm - give up on this already will ya? You hafta quit pressing your luck here.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If she had low blood sugar, *that* could have been related to the incident.

Reply to
F.H.

Note the use of the word "coincidental" above. Though, the original story as relayed by Steve is that she was hit by another skier. The discussion is only about whether an impact like that can cause diabetic shock.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

So you corrected the original assumption. Fair enough. Then you pointed out that *if* she suffered diabetic shock it was she *already* had low blood sugar. At that point, the discussion was no longer about

*only* whether impact can cause diabetic shock. *If* she was hypoglycemic enough to be approaching diabetic shock, chances are pretty good, (blurred vision etc.) that it "could have been related" to the collision. ;) Getting hit by another skier doesn't necessarily mean the skier that hit her was entirely at fault.
Reply to
F.H.

Well yes, that is correct, but it is not at all germain to the discussion. To refresh, the original assertion was that the impact put her in diabetic shock. That's the only point that has been under discussion. To suggest that low blood sugar might have contributed to the incident is potentially true, but irrelevant. Contributing to is causal, not a result of. The discussion was always about whether impact can cause diabetic shock. The proof was the definition of diabetic shock. There is no other discussion path at that point or any other. There was never any discussion at all about fault. I'm not sure if you followed the entire thread - it appears that you might not have. It would be worth taking a look at it from the beginning.

Reply to
Mike Marlow