Too many dealers

Page 5 of 6
Steve R. wrote:

If she'd been an illegal alien, they would have been required by law to treat her. So yeah - in that regard our medical system is very screwed up. :)
On 07/04/07 06:49 am Bill Putney wrote:

Maybe they are required to treat everybody, but when someone with insurance shows up (presumably a legal resident), the hospital calls the insurance co., which then says "We're not paying" or "We will pay only $x", and the person cannot afford to pay. So what does s/he do? Maybe choose between treatment and bankruptcy. My wife spoke to somebody in the supermarket checkout line this week who was considering filing for bankruptcy because of the family's medical bills.
One man a year or two back decided to check up on some of the items on the hospital bills that had led to the loss of house. $78.xx for a "mucus retrieval kit" turned out to be for a box of Kleenex.
In the case of an illegal immigrant, the hospital may simply have to write off the debt. Same goes for anyone (even a legal resident) who gives a false address or SSN, I guess.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The hearings on the recent bankruptcy reform legislation (Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention & Consumer Protection Act of 2005) that was pushed through by lobbyists for the credit industry were televised. In a memorable exchange, a democrat claimed that according to statistics nearly 45% of bankruptcies were caused by medical bills. Senator Hatch of Utah countered that those statistics were incorrect. The actual percentage of bankruptcies caused by medical bills was *only* 25%.
Compassionate conservatism in action. Casualties "out of sight, out of mind."

It's the same thing for illegal aliens. They won't admit them either without some $$$$.
Joe wrote:

If they're here illegally, and they are able to travel (i.e. non-emergency), transport them to a hospital of their home nation, and add them to the list of illegals that are to be prosecuted if they show up here again in an illegal status. If it's an emergency, treat them, get them well enough to travel, transport them home, bill their home nation, and add them to the list of illegals that are to be prosecuted if they show up here again in an illegal status.. But don't bump up the bills of legal citizens to pay for their stealing the services that we pay for.

"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Steve W. wrote:

News item: (June 27th, 2007)
Prosecutors filed civil complaints on Tuesday accusing two hospitals and a transportation services firm of dumping homeless patients in downtown Los Angeles, including one highly publicized case in which a paraplegic man wearing a colostomy bag was found crawling in a gutter near a skid row park in February.
The complaints by the L.A. city attorney's office against Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Feliz and Methodist Hospital in Arcadia are related to four separate incidents of alleged patient dumping two by each hospital over a 14-month period.

This sounds like a case of "crooked thinking."

I'm afraid to ask what your ideas are for the "TRULY poor." Firing squad?
On 07/02/07 06:10 am Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It's easy enough to compare the US system with the Canadian system because Canada is right next door and there is plenty of travel between the two. No system is perfect, and the Canadian system certainly has had its share of problems, but Canada's universal health care system is not the only one in the world. I know that my late parents' health care in UK went from being cheap to being free (not to mention that their dr. made house calls, and they got a non-means-tested allowance for a home help to come cook and clean for them), and an Australian businessman I talked to a while ago was horrified to hear how much we are paying for health insurance; in Australia it's a mere 2.5% surcharge on one's taxable income.
And in the US, even having health insurance doesn't guarantee that the insurance co. will pay. And what happens when an employer decides to switch health plans and "my" physician doesn't participate in the new plan, or the new plan doesn't cover my specific medications?
Perce
if your elected officials had to pay for health care( in full )then i can assure you folks we would have greeat low cost health care insurance for ALL
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

We always did!
Steve R.
--
Due to high levels of spam, all email to this account is being auto deleted.

philthy wrote:

Personally, I believe that we are all God's children, regardless of the color of our skin or which land mass we live on.
Furthermore, I don't believe in rewarding people for shoddy work.
If someone makes a better product, regardless of where it is made, we should buy the better product.
We don't owe anyone a job, not even the people who live in Detroit.

I don't believe that our troops should have even been in Iraq, but I support the troops.

Really? Why do you wish ill will against anyone?
Jeff

What is an American vehicle? A big 3 vehicle built anywhere, including those GM Korean built cars? A big 3 vehicle built within NAFTA (American)- USA, Canada, Mexico? A big 3 vehicle built in the USA (some say America)?

How about Asian owned but the car built by American employed in USA plants that buy from a lot of USA suppliers? This morning's paper had an article about Honda building a new plant in Indiana. They buy billions of dollars from hundreds of US suppliers.
I don't hear the same squawking about the foreign owned gas companies and grocery chains. Some of the largest groceries are owned by British, German, and Dutch companies.

Oye! Where to start? First off, Edwin's Hyundai does not have a timing belt - it has a timing chain. Next, if it did have a belt and the belt broke within the recommended change interval, Hyundai most certainly would apply whatever warranty was in force at the time.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
a timing belt on a hyundi is a maintance item to be done at 60 k and it will break at about 70k and it will bend valves and the dealer will tell you flat out you failed to properly maintain you vehicle by not changing it so the engine work is not covered thats what i keep hearing from people coming into the shop at work at Mike Marlow wrote:

That sound reasonable. There is a reason you should change the belt, change the oil, and do regular maintenance. Ignoring it is similar to ignoring any rules, you pay in the end, often dearly. Just like crossing the street on a red light, you may make it, you may get run over, but you have been told the right way to cross at some point.
As an owner of an expensive item, reading the manual and following the instructions is always a good idea.

It's worth checking into things instead of just listening to people. Yes - Hyundai will tell you to pound salt if your timing belt breaks at 70K - but that's because the owner's manual very clearly requires it to be changed at 60K. Nothing wrong with that. That's not what you posted below though. They don't regularly break at 70K either. They've been known to regularly go over 100K. Regardless, this is not unique to Hyundai. Every manufacturer with an interference engine had the same requirements. That said - many if not all of Hyundai's engines use chains now instead of belts.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I knew this when I went in to pick up our new Avalon, but ended up buying the Toyota Customer Care insurance anyway. I got it for a little over a grand, and it extends the warranty coverage to 7 years or 70,000 miles ABIR. They gave us a free warranty extension that includes even pinged doors and pecked windshields.
With the price of the new high intensity discharge headlamps, I felt that this might be worth the risk. Time will tell. $1200 is not too much when considering what it costs to fix the newer cars.
I agree that crappo dealerships exist in every brand, just as shitteaux mechanics can work at major dealerships, gas stations, or gooberville garages.
Manufacturers just MIGHT want to weed out excessive dealerships by evaluating complaints from customers and coming down really hard on offending ones. It would be a step toward repairing their credibility, in my eyes at least.
While it is not so easy to do this on independent shops, the coming of the internet, and the efforts of groups like AAA, might still evolve to the point that incompetent or crooked business are shunned out of existence.
Draconian measures? Maybe.. Some people dont seem to understand anything else.

You are more likely to be hit by the oncoming driver you blind.
On 06/22/07 08:23 pm Spam away wrote:

I remember people said this when they changed from the system where one headlamp switched off altogether on low beams to leaving both lamps lit but aimed down. Then again when they changed from separate bulbs mounted in a reflector to sealed-beam units. And again when they changed to quartz-halogen lamps. I'm not old enough to remember, but they probably said the same when vehicle lighting changed from carbide or kerosene to electric.
Perce