Too Much Oil in Engine

Hi everyone,
I changed the oil in my truck the other day and I put an extra litre in the truck by mistake.
So... What should I do? Should I take out a litre? Or does it make a
difference? I have been getting different stories from different people.
Thanks for your help.
yes take out the extra

Thanks everyone.
Lots of commentary. The main message , though, is to get that litre of oil out of there. So I will get it out tomorrow.
Dave

If its a V8 it won't make a any difference.
Its not going to blow any seals, leak anywhere, nothing. We used to put an extra quart in V8s after we rebuilt them on purpose.
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:39:41 -0700, "Scott" <homealone.com> wrote:

1/2 qt). That was in oem 289s, 272s, etc.
--
Spike
Scott <homealone.com> wrote:

My first car was given to me because the owner thought it had a rod knock, and he didn't want to fuss with it. As I was hooking it up to a tow bar in front of his house, he was telling me how he had just changed the oil, and put in five fresh quarts of Pennzoil. Riding home, I was reading the Motor's Manual which said 4 quarts... hmm.
Drained all the oil, put four quarts back in, kept the car for a year. Dodge 383 V-8.
--
---
Where the f*ck do some of these ideas come from? What makes the crankcase on a V8 different from any other crankcase?
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:55:41 GMT, "Jim Warman"

So, question.... do you promote the use of windage trays? I may have to replace the oil pan in mine. Also, pros and cons of chromed oil pan with regard to function not appearance. Thanks. Jim.

--
Spike

gets "thrown around" a lot. On some cars the sump design makes it more necessary than others.
As far as the chrome pan is concerned, they look a bit better, possibly for a bit longer - but can still rust through and have no advantage mechanically or operationally. They are SOMETIMES more difficult to seal gasket-wise.
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:00:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

coastal roads. And speed situation would be straight line.

as the oil pan, because the chrome reduced the heat transfer.
--
Spike

Not to mention excess oil on the cylinder walls overloading the rings.

Classic case of More's Law which states; If more is good, too much is just right.
You should drain a litre out. Thats a fair amount too much.
It wont take long and you wont have to worry about it anymore.
I'm not an expert but I think it can damage oil seals in some engines.

aerates the oil, reducing oil pressure.

pull the oil filter off and drain it. it will be about the right amount fast and easy. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup

NOW there's the best idea yet!!!
FWIW The Chilton manual for CROWN VICS & Merc Marauders 4.6L V8's lists too much oil in crankcase as a cause for engine missing. Don't know why, but that's what they say.
tj