Topaz (Tempo) fuel pump mystery - harness yanked?

Keeping this short. There is a Senior Citizen who was friend of my late mother who I help occasionally that has a problem granddaughter that got in
trouble the other day with a dispute involving police and other people.
Suddenly her perfect running Topaz (grandmom) stopped running with no fuel pump activity. Check fuses BUT - lifting the back seat I found a disconnected wiring harness. White with about 6 or 7 female connectors and wire was loose from the nylon threaded moorings (3) along the wire.
My question not having a manual or working on Fords: is this the fuel pump harness connector? Question 2: if it is where is the male side of this connector do I need to remove the back of the seat if this is the disconnected fuel pump harness?
Oddly too, there was black tape on the ouside of this female connector covering the last 2 or 3 female inserts.
Could this be something unrelated to the fuel pump. The wiring seems to go back.
If this IS the fuel pump harness I suspect someone came at night to the yard familiar with Escorts/Tempos and yanked it to stop the car from running as a kind of vandalism.
Mark

Are you getting power at the fuel pump?

Turn key. Nothing no fuel pump sound. Dead. I also looked for a reset button and took the trunk left side off and upper upholstery and could not find it BUT right now until I can identify this disconnected harness connector is suspect this may be related as there are no sensors under the back seat for seatbelts, etc.
Thanks for a reply. Just trying to help and 83 year old lady.
Mark
Also.
This car ran perfectly into the yard. Would not start the next day. I absolutely hear NO fuel pump activity turning the key. The car has only 55K miles on it 1990 Topaz and previously one of the best running/starting older cars I have ever seen - ran perfect.
Mark
"Mark" wrote

What year is it? Autozone's online manual says (for replacing the pump) you have to drop the tank part way, then unplug the harness, then drop it the rest of the way, so I doubt that's it. Can you make out the colors of the wires?

Or she got home all mad and slammed the trunk hard enough to trip it? (Just covering all bases here). :-)

Maybe it's on the other side? My Thunderbird has on the rear panel, right beside the left taillight, hidden behind the fuzzy plastic panel.
Autozone's diagrams show inertia switches for all Tempo/Topaz models (different place in the wiring for USA vs Canadian models), but strangely they don't have anything listed in the "shopping" section of the site.

It is a 1990 Topaz.

Very well could not be. I don't have the car here so I can't say the wiring colors. There is like 3 feet loose of wiring with a wiring fastener threaded appearing every foot or so to go into a corresponding body-hole to secure this. The back of this is going *backward* toward the tank. I thought the back of it might go to the inertia switch and might have been pulled from it. AND with the 3 body fasteners AND IF it went to the fuel pump, this would normally not be considered a routine removable wire. With removing the fuel tank and "dropping the rest of the way" - the tank has to be removed anyway SO IF this was a normally removable wire to a harness - it would still be easier to remove the harness from the pump as it is lowered since it is coming down anyway in that repair. So I am not totally convinced from that writing alone.

Amazing insight! I never thought of this and this could have happened IF it turns out to be the inertia switch.

Possibly. I took the left panel out and across piece panel looking behind the foam with a flashlight. Someone wrote on one Ford (perhaps not likely with this car) there was a quarter (coin) size hole with a button on the rear seat metal in the trunk (not Topaz) - I do not believe I looked for all holes if it turns out to be a hole (I think I read this about Cougar)
I will be looking at the car later today. Any updates or fixes i will post for anyone following the thread.
Mark
Re: 90 Topaz

Yes. The mystery harness female-side only plug has 8 terminals. 3 are used on one side light green (or green) black and white ---then 3 in the middle are blank, then there are 2 on the end, black and white------
My cars I have usually like 2 inch manuals. I usually have no issues repairing anything on my Kraut cars that are laid out very logically, including changing engines and even one I converted from automatic to stick. This car because it is not mine I have no info on. I was still unable to find the inertia switch after taking just about everything in paneling and form out of the trunk. Called a dealer who said to look at the kick panel on the passenger side - not there either - probably just a "get lost" answer.
Took the rear seat out. Took some carpeting up to see if there was a males matching plug for this 8 terminal plug - no - though without a schematic decided not to disassemble any further the carpeting looking for the match of this mystery white-nylon or plastic 8 terminal plug. Then I tried to arc the loose harness to try to find the body holes for the nylon fasteners. Did not find any matching holes AND this all could be here nor there as this loose harness may not be related. But sure as hell looks out of place under the seat.
Mark
wrote

I thought the switch was near one of the trunk hinges or next to the trunk latch, but it's been a long time since I've seen one...
wrote

And it may be hiding behind a sheet metal panel, with the reset button barely visible, in the trunk, drivers side, near the front of the trunk.
Used to be hell finding a lot of 'em when we had to deactivate....