topaz/tempo question: who's motor is this anyway?

83 Mercury topaz 4cyl carburated
It seems to me this is a foreign car with ford/mercury markings. i know this is not an uncommon practicee could someone tell me a little more?
I would like to know who makes the motor (ie mazda), and what other vehicles share the same.
thanx EAP
DodgeVanGogh wrote:

The 2.3L is a Ford engine, based on the 170/200 CID inline 6 Falcon engine. It is durable & economical, but not very quiet or powerful.
A 2.5L version was used in the Taurus until about 1989.
Rob

I don't think you can qualify this reasoning. The 170/200 CID was a pushrod engine. The 2.3 is an OHC engine. Even if they took the 170 block and shaved 2 cylinders off it, the OHC is a radical departure and goes far beyond being based on an inline six pushrod engine.

Ford has had several 2.3 engines. The 2.3 HSC in the Tempo/Topaz and the 2.5 in the Taurus was a push rod engine and of very similar design to the in line six passenger car engine, but this engine line was designed for front wheel drive applications only. It was never in a rear wheel drive car. Then there is the 2.3 overhead cam engine found in rear wheel drive vehicles. Fox platform cars, mini pick-ups like ranger and in early Aero-stars.
scroob opined in

Heh... dont worry, scroob.
We've all done the same.
For the life of me, cant recall what an early 80's topaz would be. Sorta like trying to remember what a badged Capri really was.
the tempo/topaz version using the pushrod 2.3 HSC engine was introduced in 84.
Build date could be 83
The topaz I initally was talking about is an 83 with a carburorated 4 banger with a 5 speed. Of course it's falling apart (looks rough, runs great), and it's not like its a well sought after high performance machine.