Torino conversion to a convertible

My grandparents have a Gran Torino (year unknown...maybe a '74). It has a vinyl top, and I was thinking about converting it to a convertible. Where can I find information on how to do that?

ur3001 wrote:

Sell it and buy a convertible.
Convertibles are constructed completely differently than a car with a hard top. You cannot convert a unibody car to a convertible without a huge amount of expense and trouble, and it will never be quite as good as a car that started out as a convertible.
Mark Olson wrote:

Except that year Torino is a body on full frame. It can be done, but why, unless there is some exraordinary attachment to the car...
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

OK, my mistake, I assumed it was a unibody. I still say it is an incredibly bad idea, full frame or not.
It might work for a Red Green episode, though.

Well the '70-'71 is a unibody, so without actually crawling under a '72 and up, or looking at someone's pictures, I would be inclined to believe the '72 and ups are also unibody...
351CJ wrote:

And you would be completely wrong. The platform, 1972 through the 1979 Cougar/LTD II/Thunderbird/Montego/Ranchero were all body on frame.
Rob
Try www.google.com or www.yahoo.com maybe www.lycos.com there is also www.webcrawler.com as well as a host of other search sites. Type the information you are looking for and press enter.

Unsafe to try a conversion like this. The frame is a heavier unit the a hardtop.
Brian
el Diablo wrote:

AND... there is no "convertible frame" for this year Torino.
Rob
It can't be done, even if you could afford the cost. That body could not even take a sunroof hole without losing rigidity.
mike hunt