torque converter-67 Mustang C6

I just finished installing a C6 tranny in my 67 390 Mustang. When I start it up I'm getting a loud noise from the torque converter. I did put a quart of transmission fluid in it when I installed it on the pump input shaft. Was one quart enough? If not, can I somehow add more to it without dropping the tranny? Any other ideas what the noise might be? Thanks for any info.

Reply to
sanpablo

You should have put 2 1/2 qts in the converter. Sadly you will be forced to pull the tranny again to add the missing 1 1/2 qts. If you even have to think about my reply and wonder whether it's accurate You should do that car a favor and sell it..... or at least promise it that you won't ever open its hood again.

Reply to
Bob

I wouldn't worry about that being the cause of your noise. One quart should be plenty to lube it during startup which is the big thing. The converter snout drives the pump which has a pretty high capacity and will fill the converter almost immediately from the pan even if you do not pre-charge the converter. The converter is one of the first places fluid will go in the trans. Make sure the trans has plenty of fluid in the pan when running. Only have about half way between fill marks when cold idling. If you still have noise, your problem is something else besides failure to pre-charge.

I would be more concerned that you did/do not have the converter properly engaged in the pump when installing. It can slip out of position very easily while installing the trans. If you have to pull the trans up to the engine with the housing bolts to install, you have a problem. You should be able to work the converter back and forth a little with your fingers after the trans is bolted up and before the converter nuts are installed. If you can't do this, something is not right. If you have started the engine with it in this condition, you may as well pull the trans for repair before you do any more damage.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

?????????????????????

Reply to
sanpablo

Lugnut, I'm afraid that your absolutely correct. I was very aware of engaging the torque converter completely but like you said it probably slipped out a bit before I bolted up the bell housing. Out the tranny comes!! groan!! Thanks for your answer As you know, there isn't a lot of clearance fitting an FE/C6 in a 67 Mustang.

Reply to
sanpablo

Another word of warning is about the engine thrust bearing. About half the time when this is the problem and the engine has been run, it damages the crank thrust bearings in the engine as well as the trans. Make sure you check the end thrust on the crank before you put it all back together. If the thrust bearings are damaged, the engine may not survive long before crank bearing failure. If there is any question about what you find when you check the thrust, pull the pan and check the bearing. It will be a lot less work now than later when it scraps itself a long walk from home.

Good luck

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

When I pull the oil pan what should I be looking for? thanks

Reply to
sanpablo

You will need to pull the main brg with the thrust bearing for inspection. If all is OK there, you can simply reinstall the bearing a torque it up. Make sure the engine still turns as it should after re-torqueing. You should have the spark plugs out to turn it. Sorry if it sounds like a lot of work but, I have already seen several screwed by ignoring the possible problem. If the thrust is bad you will be able to see it. I would check the crank thrust with a dial indicator before pulling the pan. If this has been a running engine - not a fresh build - it may be OK with no need to open it up. Keep in mind that an engine in front of an automatic does not have normal loading of the thrust like a manual trans with a clutch. As long as the thrust clearance checks OK, it should be good to go. If you prefer pulling the pan for a visual, I can only say it is better you than me. That's a lot of work on that car and the dial indicator method to check it is much easier.

Good luck

Lugnut.

Reply to
lugnut

I will check it. I only ran the engine a very short time. As soon as I heard the noise I shut it down so hopefully I didn't do any damage. Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
sanpablo

Don't feel too bad if the converter slipped out and you damaged the trans. I did it...once. I guarantee you won't make that mistake again. Especially in a Mustang with an FE and a C-6!! Next time you'll spend 2 hours making sure the converter is seated properly, and you'll still be paranoid when you start it up. ;) Usually, the damage is limited to (only?) the converter and front pump. Certainly check the crank endplay, but usually the pump input gear breaks and saves the thrust bearing. On a C-6, I would put 1-2 qts in the converter and 4-5 in the pan. Running a bit with this much ATF in it will be ok. Once you start the motor add 2 qts as soon as safely possible, then top off as needed. IIRC the capacity is ~11 qts from dry.

Good luck. There's nothing like an FE in a Mustang. :) :)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hi Tom, The ironic part of this, is that I remember my brother-in-law doing the same thing about 20 years ago so I was very aware of making sure the torque converter was seated and I still got burnt!!!!!

Reply to
sanpablo

Tranny repaired and installed. All OK, thanks everyone for your help!

Reply to
sanpablo

Thanks for the feedback. The R&R had to be the worst of it.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut