Torque converter shudder on 1995 Lincoln

I'm sure it's torque converter shudder. Here is the deal. My check engine light is on sometimes but not all the time. The only time I have the torque converter shudder
is when the check engine light is on. Could this be a strong clue to what is actually wrong? If anyone knows please post and I will be checking back. Thanks
Plugs and wires could do that. When does the shudder occur?
PoD

It could be plugs and wires. It happens under light throttle between 30 and 50 MPH. Under heavy throttle I don't think it happens. I just noticed the connection between the check engine light and the problem. The engine usually runs smooth but sometimes for a few seconds it shakes a little.
When my fluid needed changing ('95 CV, by the way) I got a shudder like going over rumble strips. It was about as loud and was intermittant - brupp, brupp, brupp. I had to drive up a hill every day and was usually doing 35-40 at the time. Fluid and filter change fixed it. Use Mercon V fluid. TCCOA has a good guide for doing it right.
If it is more at highway speed with light throttle, suspect plug wires. Get good ones and replace the plugs, too. Be sure to blow the dust and crap out of the plug area before you remove them.
PoD

One Lincoln dealer said they wouldn't do it. They said it will ruin the transmission. Also is this really true that I just read? disconnecting the battery will cause basic settings of the vehicle's computer to be erased (e.g. idle settings, fuel trim settings, transmission shift points, etc.)
The computer 'learns' as you drive. Removing the battery cable for a while can erase the stuff it learned but the basic stuff remains. I can't tell much difference with my car.
There was a lot of confusion about the backward compatibility of Mercon V but I thought it was OK in the 4R70W trans we have. I know the fluid I used had both ratings but a lot of them don't. I would be hypocritical if I said to ignore the dealer. Almost all repairs I can't do myself get done at a dealer.
(Years ago, dealer repair shops weren't so good. Now they are fairly priced and have very well-trained mechanics, IMHO.)
PoD

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:36:53 GMT, "Paul of Dayon"

So which is it?
Mercon III was based on mineral oil?
Mercon V is pure synthetic?
I had the shudder (94 Tbird LX V8/4r70w) at 38k mi. Dealer flushed/filled tranny fluid and it went away.

Yeah, I think it just restarts with factory defaults. This shouldn't be a problem.

If the factory recommend is Mercon III, I 'spect the dealer is not *supposed* to use Mercon V.
I got a private tranny shop to flush/fill Mercon V around 48k mi. Now at 61k and haven't had a problem.

I got the shudder at 38k mi. and while shifting from 3rd to 4th. Pretty sure they used Mercon III (and that fixed it). Don't remember if the check-engine lite was on.
Puddin'

I have to realize when I said I only get the shudder when the light is on but it may be the shudder that turns the light on also.
From: snipped-for-privacy@ka.net I'm sure it's torque converter shudder. Here is the deal. My check engine light is on sometimes but not all the time. The only time I have the torque converter shudder is when the check engine light is on. Could this be a strong clue to what is actually wrong? If anyone knows please post and I will be checking back. Thanks
=======have had this happen before. go to lincoln dealer and get a bottle of shutter guard additive. it's a small bottle. pout it in and it usually fixes the problem. don't know why lincoln won't tell the owners this problem exists, but somehow, they seem to sell the fix at their parts counter.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so." http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc
A parts store that sells Lubeguard products will have "Dr. Tranny'sInstant Shudder Fixx". It comes in a tube and costs about $10. It worked for me for the 6 months it took me to get around to changing fluid. I think Lucas makes a good one, too.
You can go to AutoZone and they will read your codes for free. Make a note of them but don't buy anything, just report them here.
There are quite a few very good mechanics around here. (It's prolly easiest to get codes while the light is on.)
PoD