torque wrench range

What is a good range to get in a torque wrench? Is 25-250 in-lbs likely to cover all needs on light trucks and cars?

TIA,

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

You really need two wrenches. One small one for inch-pounds, and one large one for ft-lbs.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Ok. I'll keep the one I got for Christmas, then, and later think about getting a bigger one to complement it. (FWIW 250 in-lbs is equivalent to about 20 ft-lbs, just gotta do the math to convert :-))

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

You should have something that can go up to 150 ft-lbs also. Wheel lugs might have about 100 ft-lbs as an example.

Reply to
Mellowed

The lug nuts on Superduties must be torqued to 160 ft lbs....

"Mellowed" wrote i

Reply to
bomar

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 18:10:03 +0000, Derrick 'dman' Hudson rearranged some electrons to form:

divide by 12

Reply to
David M
140 ft-lbs on my 96 F-250 Super Duty PSD.
Reply to
JS
1999 up 160 ft lbs.... Completely different lugs and wheels.
Reply to
bomar

I was under the impression that Ford went to the metric style on the SD in 1998.

Reply to
JS

Reply to
Marky

One torque wrench is not enough.

You need at least two:

1.one 150 lbs-ft torque wrench for passanger cars, for trucks you will need probably 250 lbs-ft. (Harbor Freight has 150 on sale for 10$ very often - purchased probably a dozen for relatives etc).
  1. one smaller such as 0-200 lbs-inch for smaller jobs (got one at toolsource for 20$).

Buy them in blow molded cases to protect them.

You should buy them in this order if you cannot afford to buy them in one shot. I am considering getting third one up to 960 lbs-inch (which is 80 lbs-ft) at Advance Auto Parts for 20$, because it is shorter and it will be easier to work with it in tight spots.

To remove rusted bolts or nuts use breaker bar. I got both at Harbor Freight for 18$ for both. I can remove axle nut with 1/2 breaker bar easily (I broke torque wrench even without cheater bar prior to getting breaker bar). Don't listen that you can use torque wrench as breaker bar.

Remember, everything has its purpose, either breaker bar or torque wrench.

Reply to
Gracjan Nawrot

i guess i am lucky, been using the torque wrench for a breaker bar for over 35 yrs. and never had broken it yet.... had it where the wrench was bendt over like a C at times and its still here....

Reply to
jim

What style of torque wrench?

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Where can you get a torque wrench calobrated? Is there anybody that has come up with a home grown system to calibrate one that works?

Jim

Reply to
Jmonahan

For your sake, I hope you don't work on your own cars (or anyone elses, for that matter). Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

why not explain if you have any creditable information....... pretty sneaky to just blurt out insults and nothing to back it up..... if i am wrong then so be it....

Reply to
jim