Total lack of power problem , surging ......

I have a 1983 Ford F-250 with a 460 Eng. and auto transmission. My problem is I will be running down the road just fine and all of a sudden the engine will start loosing power with some surging. Up until
yesterday it would stop doing it after a short period of time and then run another few hundred miles before it would do it again. Yesterday it did it but did stop until I pulled off the road and restarted the engine. Before I pulled off the road thought I must have went 10 miles. Every time I tried to go faster I ended up going slower. When I did finally pull over the engine immediately stopped. I did take a quick look under the hood to see if I could see anything like maybe a flooding problem but nothing. I got back in started it right up and then proceeded to drive the remaining 75 miles home on the side roads with no problems.
Now do I have something in the gas line doing it? Is it an electrical problem ? I have two tanks and thus two fuel pumps and switching between them made no difference. I did take the carburetor apart before this last trip and looked for any dirt in it so at this time I am ruling it out as the problem though I might have missed something.
Help, suggestions, comments?
Thanks Ron
Thinking vacume,vacume advance pot, a line heating ? ? ? ? ? ?
Ronald Oberloh wrote:

Does this truck employ a TFI ignition? (I *think* 83 was the first year...) There is an ongoing problem with TFI modules failing (even some class action suits I believe) Typically the result is cutting out, hot start failures, etc., but I suppose a lack of advance function is possible, given the seeming 'flakiness' of the TFI. Perhaps a quick check with a timing light is in order. No advance? Look at the related wiring (SPOUT in particular) first.
If the truck does *not* utilize a TFI, pardon me for being a babbling idiot.
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:06:38 -0600, Thunder Fish wrote:

Sounds like it is running out of fuel in the carburetor. Float level, fuel filter plugged, crud in the bowl, plugged exhaust, plugged air filter all possibilities.

Had similar symptoms on a '73 LTD. Died in the left lane of US Route 80 during rush hour. Turned out to be the fuel filter that screwed directly to the carb fuel intake. From what I was told that is not uncommon with that type of filter on Fords. Mr. Moats makes good points. I'd check the air and fuel filters first.
I did take the filter out and it had a little stuff in in. Also have another filter before it that is also kind of a regulator that passes the gas back to the tank which had more stuff in it than the filter on the carb. Had a new air filter on before it did it so that was not the problem. Drove it 40 miles last night and not problem but then I have drive it a few hundred before it showed up again also so just hoping that did it.
Thanks Ron