Total lack of power problem , surging ......

I have a 1983 Ford F-250 with a 460 Eng. and auto transmission. My problem is I will be running down the road just fine and all of a sudden the engine will start loosing power with some surging. Up until yesterday it would stop doing it after a short period of time and then run another few hundred miles before it would do it again. Yesterday it did it but did stop until I pulled off the road and restarted the engine. Before I pulled off the road thought I must have went 10 miles. Every time I tried to go faster I ended up going slower. When I did finally pull over the engine immediately stopped. I did take a quick look under the hood to see if I could see anything like maybe a flooding problem but nothing. I got back in started it right up and then proceeded to drive the remaining 75 miles home on the side roads with no problems.

Now do I have something in the gas line doing it? Is it an electrical problem ? I have two tanks and thus two fuel pumps and switching between them made no difference. I did take the carburetor apart before this last trip and looked for any dirt in it so at this time I am ruling it out as the problem though I might have missed something.

Help, suggestions, comments?

Thanks Ron

Reply to
Ronald Oberloh

Thunder Fish

Does this truck employ a TFI ignition? (I *think* 83 was the first year...) There is an ongoing problem with TFI modules failing (even some class action suits I believe) Typically the result is cutting out, hot start failures, etc., but I suppose a lack of advance function is possible, given the seeming 'flakiness' of the TFI. Perhaps a quick check with a timing light is in order. No advance? Look at the related wiring (SPOUT in particular) first.

If the truck does *not* utilize a TFI, pard> Thinking vacume,vacume advance pot, a line heating ? ? ? ? ? ?

Reply to
Marky

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Had similar symptoms on a '73 LTD. Died in the left lane of US Route

80 during rush hour. Turned out to be the fuel filter that screwed directly to the carb fuel intake. From what I was told that is not uncommon with that type of filter on Fords. Mr. Moats makes good points. I'd check the air and fuel filters first.
Reply to
D F Bonnett

I did take the filter out and it had a little stuff in in. Also have another filter before it that is also kind of a regulator that passes the gas back to the tank which had more stuff in it than the filter on the carb. Had a new air filter on before it did it so that was not the problem. Drove it 40 miles last night and not problem but then I have drive it a few hundred before it showed up again also so just hoping that did it.

Thanks R>>

Reply to
Ronald Oberloh