Town Car A/C problem

I've got a '92 T/C with intermittent air conditioning problems. I'm certain its not a freon problem...'cause it blows out super cold air...still R12.
But occasionally...usually after running for a half hour or so...it will start blowing hot air. I tried moving the temp lever back and forth...to try to clean off any dirt that might be on it. And I've run it on normal and on max. None of that solves the problem.
If I turn the system to off...and wait about 5 minutes...and then turn it back on, it will start blowing super cold again...and probably run another 20 minutes or so. Then it will go hot again.
If I don't wait at least 5 minutes...if I just turn it off and then back on...it will not reset itself. It will still blow hot air. It needs to sit at least 5 minutes. I've checked under the hood and don't see any icing up anywhere.
So...anybody have any idea where to start looking?
Its gotten worse. It used to act up only a couple times during the day. Now it seems to act up all the time...but always resets itself.
I KINDA remember the same, reverse thing happening last Winter...but I don't remember for sure. The heat would run...then it would get cold. I'd turn it off and it would reset itself.
Does that help make more sense out of it?
TIA
Have a nice week...
Trent
Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.
You might be missing some R12....
the same thing happened to my T/C, and it was missing 2 pounds....
Have it checked!

Its a leak in your vacuum hoses that control the air dampers. You can be sure of this if it actually blows heated air like the heater is on. Once the vacuum is lost (starts leaking) the air mix door which controls hot and cold, switches to the hot position regardless of what the dashboard lever is set too. When the leak gets even worse, it will shift the air from the vents to the defrost openings.
I've had 2 old Town Cars and had this problem on both of them. Its hell to find the leak. A lot a a/c shops won't work on them. Even had a dealer refuse to work on it. Ended up fixing both cars myself.
Being that this a 92, wrong. The blend door is not vacuum, but electronic. It's more likely the compressor clutch is going open.