Town Car window stuck

I have a early 90's Town Car that I borrowed from a friend and the driver's side window is stuck in the down position. I rolled the windows down when driving and when I went to roll them up, the rest of them worked fine but this one just didn't budge. There's no sound from the window motor and I can't pull the window up. My guess is that the motor is frozen but the wire is still good. I'm hoping there's an easy fix to at least get the window to a closed position. It's been raining around here and a tarp on the door works well when it's parked but for driving, not so much. Thanks for your help.

Beans Baxter

Reply to
Beans Baxter

beans try pulling the door panel off..then check the window switch.then a rubber mallet smack to motor might get it to lift

Reply to
Bob K

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bob K) wrote in news:21256-40B0E34B-34@storefull-

3352.bay.webtv.net:

Sounds like a good idea. Any hints on getting the door panel off?

Also, I noticed that the lights don't dim when trying to roll up the window. I'm guessing that is pointing to a switch or some other electrical contact problem but I was wondering if there's a failure mode of the window motor that might not draw any current and give me the same symptoms.

Beans Baxter

Reply to
Beans Baxter

Beans Baxter wrote in news:Xns94F2924F4E2C58675309OU812@204.127.204.17:

Bad relay. Common problem on all '90s Fords.

Reply to
scroob

There are no relays involved in my '92 Grand Marquis. Only the switch itself and of course the motor. If the window circuit is indeed open, then I would suspect switch, motor brushes and connectors in that order. Much more common failure mode in these cars is the nylon gear in the motor drive which strips and leaves the window mechanism movement weak at best. These gears can be replaced for a fraction of a new motor/drive. Either way, the door cover must be removed to repair. AutoZone sells a window lift motor for $65 and a gear kit for $16 on my Mercury. Stan K.

Reply to
Stan Kasperski

Stan Kasperski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I pulled the switch and tested continuity. It worked fine so that's been eliminated as a suspect. Motor brushes are a definite possibility. Any ideas on how to test that short of removing the motor and regulator? Also, any ideas on how to get the window manually closed. I can't budge it and it's raining quite a bit. A tarp works well when parked overnight but it makes changing lanes a bit of a chore when driving. ;)

Thanks for the info. With there being no noise at all from the motor, can I safely assume that it's not a gear problem for now? It was working fine and then suddenly it wouldn't go up. No warning, no strange noises, just a window stuck in the down position.

Beans BAxter

Reply to
Beans Baxter

My schematic for the '92 Mercury Grand Marquis shows the wires going to the drivers door window motor from the switch as white with black tracer and the other as yellow. BTW, the motor can be removed without the regulator. It may require drilling three holes though where the steel inner panel is dimpled.

Once the door panel is off, you may get lucky and push the window up with some force, but if the motor gears are intact, it may not go up. Worth a try.

Probably a motor if you can't hear anything. They're pretty quiet without a load though. Door panel must come off. Try hitting the motor itself with a hammer once or twice, especially with the switch on. If that doesn't do it, then its a new motor. I took apart a dead motor in my old '86 Lincoln Mark VII and couldn't find anything wrong except it was pretty dirty. Put it together again and it worked fine for another

6-7 years before I finally had to replace it. Stan K.
Reply to
Stan Kasperski

Check continuity through the switch. If that checks out then most likely a contact burned off and you will need a new motor.

mike hunt

Beans Baxter wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt