Toyota Accused of Hiding Evidence...Unreal

Page 1 of 2
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/29/cbsnews_investigates/main5273636.shtml

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:49:30 -0400, "KEITH"
Wrong newsgroup, clown.
--
http://desertphile.org
Actually... quite noteworthy.... after the Explorer roll-over debacle, it might finally come to peoples attention that it is drivers that are inherently unstable - vehicles have their own dynamics... A Ford Super Duty and a Ferrari might not come out very equal on the G pad....

When it was all said and done, the courts and the NHTSA concluded rollovers of Explorers was caused by defective Firestone tires, not the design of the Explorer.
There are still hundreds of thousands of Explorers still on the road and not rolling over that had "General" tires as well as those that no longer have defective Firestone tires.

I don't recall saying ANYTHING about Explorer rollovers... and I didn't need a history lesson, thanks...
Toyota has always been portrayed as some sort of golden boy... whenever it can be shown that their feet are made of clay, it is noteworthy... even if someone thinks it is the "wrong group".

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:58:04 GMT, "Jim Warman"

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Or they are running the firestone tires at the "right" pressure. It was a combination of the charateristics of the firestone tire and the pressure Ford recommended they be run at.

That may be your opinion but the is not what the courts and the NHTSA concluded. They determined the problem was caused by defective tires, period. Search the Congressional Record for the facts, WBMS

Mike... this is old history... let it rest... The crux of the thread is the accusations against Toyota and whether they would be relevant in this NG...

Some years ago there were Toyota's whose electric locks were shorting out and locking people in their cars and then catching fire. It was hardly mentioned in any papers. If a $1 part breaks on a Ford the owner has a fit. If a $1000 part breaks on a Toyota the owners just shrug it off.
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:48:53 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Except those tires were SAFE on other vehicles (and apparently at higher pressure on the same vehicles)

That may be your opinion but the tires involved were OEM on Explorers only, dummy

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:25:09 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

BS. I never ran mine at anything lower then 30 psi and they were absolute crap the whole time they were on the truck. They were unbalanceable and rode like they were square. Not to mention how they pulled badly to the side. We've had many Firestones at work, some models are ok and others are nothing but repeated failures. I've had more problems with firestone tires over the years then with any other brand. It has nothing to do with pressure and everything to do with crappy design and construction.

It would be 1976.... I had a 1973 F100... nice little truck in spite of the Firestone tires installed on it... The only thing they ever did well or predictably was separate... not me... never again... I feel safer running on bare rims....

I wonder how badly Bridgestone was hurt by their poorly made Firestone tires?

I try not to buy imports or from foreign corporations whenever possible, particularly Japanese corporations

///snipped///
Anecdotal evidence is not worth a tinkers damn, Ed.....I sold many sets of Bridgestone tires, primarily Dueler APTs to my customers and have had three sets on two trucks and one van. Not one complaint about tires wearing out prematurely, not performing up to expectations. For example, my 82 F250 has those tires on it for 85,000 miles and are still about 3/32 over worn-out measurement. So one man's poison is another man's gravy, I guess....Also, one other tidbit regarding the Firestone tires on Explorers - in Alaska, Firestones were the OEM tires on explorers in that time frame and guess what - not one failure reported....I do remember that Firestone (Bridgestone) admitted to one bad batch (total number I can't recall) of tires from one plant. For whatever that is worth...
DaveD

The problem was not with Bridgestone tires, it was the Firestone brand tires made by Bridgestone
No need to guess, one can search the Congressional Record for the NHTSA and the Senate investigations that resulted from the Firestone tire problem.