Toyota Deals the Final Blow to GM and Ford with New Engine...

Page 1 of 3
Toyota Deals the Final Blow to GM and Ford with New Engine block manufacturing technique that will cut each engine cost by $1000. Toyota plans to transfer reduced cost to customer. WWII soon to come to a true end
when Toyota places the nails in the coffin.
and why would someone that goes to a newsgroup for ford trucks give a flying rats ass about this post by a rectal orifice about a piece of jap shit that will go into a jap shitbox?????

Cut engine cost by $1000?
I doubt that! Unless they've found a way to start with seeds.
you pay..DEAL with it!
The BallJoint Stud wrote:

I have not researched this new proclamation, but it doesn't meet the initial BS test. I don't think there's $1,000 in machining cost there to be saved.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060222.RTOYOTA22/TPSto ry/TPBusiness/
and
http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id 8353
The new engine technology is now in use not only at Bodine, which Toyota bought in 1990, but also at foundries in Japan and China.
*****Partly as a result,**** the cost of building an engine for the redesigned Camry that was scheduled to go on sale in March will be about $1,000, half the cost of an engine for the previous generation of Camrys, says Gary Convis, executive vice president for North American manufacturing.
I'm still a sceptic...
you pay..DEAL with it!

Slave labor?
Made of magnesium materials Very impressive! Light weight
Magnesium....WOW I bet the firefighter's will love that.

Tim or Linda wrote:

*LOL* I have fond memories of how hot and brightly magnesium would burn in the Science lab! Toyota could add a whole new meaning to "running hot"!!!

This one is three years old
AMC-SC1 A New Magnesium Alloy for Engine Blocks
It proved to be a major challenge developing a magnesium alloy that had the necessary thermal and mechanical properties, but the new alloy (AMC-SC 1) developed by Dr Bettles and colleagues has both alloy content and heat-treatment conditions optimised for performance and cost. The alloy can be prepared and processed using standard techniques, and is suitable for the production of precision castings using a standard sand casting process.
Practical testing of the AMC-SC1 Magnesium Engine Block
More recently, AVL List, a leading European engine design company, has designed a three cylinder diesel engine with a magnesium block weighing 14kg. This has been fitted into a Volkswagen Lupo and is currently being road tested in and around Graz, Austria. The magnesium engine block could soon become as common as alloy wheels in the list of desirable attributes for new vehicles.
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID 73#_AMC-SC1_A_New
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You know it's customary to point to some authoritative source for that sort of stuff.
While it's nice to use NG for discussing this sort of issue, MOST of us know our way around the web... and get pissed when others just comment on things without helping rest of us not have to search for it.
Near as I can tell from searching, it's cam covers, etc... not structural assemblies...
you pay..DEAL with it!
Your link says the block is poured aluminum casting. It reminds me of two things. The Vega for one. And those sheet metal blocks of long ago. (Was it the Crosby?) You can test and test a new design like Toyota's. They still won't know until enough are produced whether they meet customer needs or save the money intended.
Al Bundy wrote:

Crosley, it was. CoBra (Copper Brazed) engine. I think they eventually went to a conventional cast block.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Vega blocks were die cast, like most outboards.
Al

UGH! You reminded me of another GM horror show. The Vega got me into my first Japanese car for urban driving.
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:24:45 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Magnesium is magnesium. Sure, there's less of it, but it's still there and will still burn VERY hot...
Mike Levy wrote:

Worked for Volkswagen for years...
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

VW blocks worked for me too. Toss one on a good bonfire sometime.

that cool cooler than regular air. We are at war and battles are being planned ahead of time.
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:57:47 -0500, "Jebidiah Springfield"

Jeeze and I though that making wetter water was going to transform the automotive world.