Toyota Deals the Final Blow to GM and Ford with New Engine...

Page 2 of 3
Tom Adkins wrote:

LOL there is a web site somewhere with pics of a RAMVA member doing just that... makes lots of pretty colors.
Personally, I prefer them mounted behind the seats of a small, 2-seat, targa bodied car though. (I am not sure if the Type 4/914 engine actually has a magnesium case though.)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

(\_ _/)

Umm... now we're getting into arcane inanities.
Point: Magnesium cam covers or Fiero 4 cylinder blocks; biggest fire hazard?
Was a time a decade or so ago, when driving on Interstate and seeing column of black smoke ahead... you knew what you would find when you got there.
you pay..DEAL with it!

end
Care to cite a reference? Could it be http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 000103&sid=aTkufGZiqHOs&refer=us ? This is a ridiculous article, apparently written by the Toyota PR firm.
The total manufacturing cost for many engines is under $1000, so this seems like a total BS story. I can only assume that the old Camry engine is horrendously expensive, since saving $1000 only reduces the cost by 50%. At $1000 the "new" Camry V-6 still costs more to build than a Buick 3.8L or a Ford 4.6L. So instead of highlighting Toyota's efficiency, it point out how inefficient the company actually is.
You might want to look at this old Wall Street Journal Story from 1996 - http://www.rbbi.com/folders/engn/toyota.htm . Back then Toyota was going to reduce the cost to produce an engine from $600 to $400. Seem like they must have really gone down hill if they are now going to save $1000 to manufacture an engine, when they claimed they could build them for $400 in 1996.
You need to watch Toyota, they cut corners in subtle ways that end up cost the Customer many extra dollars down the road. As incredible as it seems, many Toyota engines don't use hydraulic valve lifters and require very expensive routine valve clearance adjustments. This probably saves Toyota $50 when they build the engine and costs the Customer hundreds when they have the valve clearances inspected and adjusted (if they have it checked at all).
Ed

?
seems
At
how
must
Do you read the links you post? This is certainly apples and oranges. That was the engine for a "dirt-cheap" car to be introduced in Asia. Not very likely to be the same thing as the motor for a Camry.

at
The proof's in the pudding. Toyota is selling a very nice car at prices competitive with GM and Ford offerings and MAKING MONEY doing it.

So the current Camry engine cost FOUR times as much as a 1994 four cylinder? It is inconceivable that that the third rate Camry V-6 costs $2000 to build. This whole "saving $1000" claim is some sort of silly Toyota PR campaigned designed to polish the Toyota image. What they should have reported is something along the lines of "Toyota finally get a grip on excessive engine costs." It reminds me of managers who inflate their departmental budgets and then, when pushed, announce significant cost savings so that they can look like heros.

If you think third rate designs are "very nice vehicles" then I Toyota is your brand. Toyota charges thousands more for comparable vehicles while paying far less in salray and benefits to their workforce. As far as I can tell the whole Toyota sucess story is based on convincing people that they should pay more for less.
Ed

very
cylinder?
build.
engine
and
"Third rate Camry V-6?" Hah! GM wishes it was so. My '01 Sienna has one of those engines in it. I test-drove the competing Chevy and Chrysler offerings. Compared to the Sienna, they're both dogs.

seems,
Toyota
they
checked
Yeah, convincing poor bastards like me to buy their cars by pricing them competitively, delivering lots of features and offering excellent reliability. The excellent performance, matching-or-better gas mileage and quiet cabin were all just irrelevant bonuses.
C. E. White wrote:

Calling a Toyota V-6 third rate must make the GM 3.4/3.5 l engine something like 10th rate!
John

Toyota
true
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 000103&sid=aTkufGZiqHOs&refer=us
50%.
in
That
cost
seems,
Toyota
checked
Yeh Americans are stupid and will buy anything especially if its somebody elses stuff just because other people have colder ice.

http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Yes it's amazing how many still buy crap vehicles, consuming too much fuel and which they think are American, yet many are imported. See GM's bottom end junk cars imported from Korea.
We will have to waitand see what shaving $1000 off the cost of the engine has in store for the customer 40,000 miles down the road. GM shaaved some cost & weight off the 3800 by installing a plastic intake manifold's and the results were not well received by car owners.
Time Will Tell.
Harryface 05 Park Avenue 34,255 91 Bonneville LE 306,010
Most MEFI engine today use a composite intake manifold, since generally the only thing distributed is air, not a fuel mixture.
mike hunt

The cost of production is just 10% of the total price The rest is marketing and transport The car companies can set whatever price they want Difference between Toyota and the rest is they need less advertisement

Huh????
If anything Toyota runs more ads than anyone - at least in my area. They do run some of the most bizarre ads - like the whole "moving forward series" and some of the most outrageously dishonest ads - like the whole Tacoma series of ads. In the end, I guess they know what they are doing since the third rate Camry is the best selling car in America. Oh what a feeling, moving forward, whatever.
Ed
Doesn't really say what this new "technique" is. Aluminum blocks are not new.Neither is magnesium, ever been to a VW block burning party at the Bonneville salt flats???:-) IMO the "new" technique _could_ be the same GM has used for the last several years on their new in-lines, namely lost foam investment casting.............
http://www.castmetalsfederation.com/process.asp?procid=3&name=Lost%20Foam
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_010306.htm
Stuuder
The BallJoint Stud wrote:

Stuuder wrote:

just out of curiousity, how hard is it to get them to flame up?
883 degrees F

a standard cigarette lighter (an old BIC) will turn a roll of magnesium into a really bright fire...
--

(\_ _/)
Perhaps but Toyota is still is in a distant forth place in sales in the US, the world largest market. ;)

Try a respectable second.
http://www.morgancom.com/AutoSalesSummary0206.pdf
your info is apparently out of date.
nate