Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

Page 11 of 13

GM has a much broader range of products than does Toyota.

Very good summation. Glad you finally got it.
Hairy wrote:

Understand that the decline of the US car companies gives me no pleasure. They largely did it to themselves, though, with their crappy quality (which gave the Japanese their opening to invade), to their embracing of mediocrity, the most glaring example of which was the wholesale switch-over to FWD. It was really sad to see once-proud Cadillac producing nothing but garbage with V8 engines hanging-out in front of the front wheels...
Top posting is actually the superior method. Having to continually scroll down to the end of the message, every message, is wasteful. It is wasteful because the context of the quoted text is often not actually necessary, due to a high probability that the message containing it was just or recently read by the viewer.
It is most especially gay, for those who additionally re-quote practically the entire thread thus far in every stinking message rather than just the more relevant bits necessary for context. Not only does it waste storage and bandwidth, it amplifies the tragedy of the bottom posting method as pointed out above. If one wants to see the all messages in the thread, it is but a relatively simple matter to browse through the posts and replies in the thread with their news reader, or web news reader like Google or what have you. If that is too much of a challenge, then who are the real idiots?
In the cases that the context is needed, the viewer can scroll down to obtain it. But only when they need to. Efficiency. Beauty. LOGICAL.
I'm not usually one to make an issue out of people's posting style. I like top posting for the reasons given, but recognize that others may place higher value on other aspects of trade offs. But I do not like when someone gets on their top posting is bad high horse like you have been doing. And even though you were directing your comments directly to someone else, the fact that I often top post caused me to feel insulted. Thus I felt compelled to weigh in on it.
And by the way, relating to the primary issue at hand here; if you think that being able to buy a vehicle that is close or closer to "just right" is not a factor in value, then to put it bluntly you are playing a fool. It is generally common understanding that value equals what you get, weighed against the cost. The "just right" concept is most definitely an important issue in the what you get part of the equation.

Top-posting makes your message incomprehensible to many of your readers. In normal conversation, after all, you don't answer to something that has not yet been said.
When you quote, you're doing it to provide context. Requiring your readers to scroll down and then back, repeatedly (as they attempt to figure out what the heck you're talking about), is a rather difficult way for you to make the context available. Providing the context up-front will get you better results. There's no way to build a threaded discussion with top-posting. Top-posting severely inhibits others from understanding the conversation, because the context of the conversation is out of order, as in broken. Replying at the top confuses your readers, making any point you're trying to get across very unclear without them scrolling down and back repeatedly, searching to re-integrate context. That extra, wholly unnecessary work leads to reader irritation, or worse, to readers just not bothering with your words at all. Since your object is to get your message across, help your readers follow by placing your words in context, not prior to the context. Doing otherwise, forcing your readers to go to extra work unnecessarily, is often irritating, sometimes interpreted as insulting, or in severe cases taken as attempt by you to show your "power". Any way you cut that, delivering your words in an hard to read manner doesn't help your case. Instead, post in-line to preserve context and respect your readers. http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette /
Top-posting means replying to a message above the original message. This may be a message in an Internet forum, an e-mail message or a Usenet post. Top-posting is considered improper by many definitions of Internet etiquette since it breaks down the flow of the thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting
Top-posting vs bottom-posting Some people like to put reply after the quoted text, some like it the other way around, and still some prefer interspersed style. Debates about which posting style is better have lead to many flame wars in the forums. To keep forum discussion friendly, please follow the general preference, which is bottom-posting http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting By A. Smit and H.W. de Haan Below you can find our arguments why bottom-posting is better than top-posting. http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

~text that I'm sure SgtSillycon didn't read, snipped~
Some people just won't let facts, convention or common sense get in the way of doing things *their* way. If the posters that follow convention would ignore or KF those that refuse to, they might see the error of their ways. I agree with another poster that people that don't trim their posts are just as bad as top posters. FWIW
Dave
The first thing I did when I read your follow up was to scroll down past all the quoted stuff because I ALREADY AM FOLLOWING THE THREAD. If, and ONLY if, It's not making sense, then I will quick check the quoted. Most of the time, probably 90%+, I just recently finished reading the quoted material in its original posting and I do not need to read any of it. I do not need to re-read it every time someone throws in 2 cents. See another posting I have made regarding so called self appointed preachers of what is netiquette.

SgtSilicon wrote:

Idiot.
Dizzy, once again you signed one of your aliases to a post. Why do you do that all the time, we know its you LOL

SgtSilicon wrote:

Wrong, obviously. Only idiots think that top-posting is superior. Sorry.
I think bottom posters are idiots, because the quoted text is not always needed to the reader. It is not needed when it was just read in a previous message. I do not think of people as having so incredibly poor reading comprehension skills that they completely forget the messages they just read in the few minutes previously. For those that do for get one, it is then an easy matter to scroll down. I do check the quoted when I need to. Most of the time I have already recently read it. I notice you have no comment about re-quoting EVERYTHING rather than just the bits needed for context. You don't see any problem with that? Anything lazy with it? Anything wasteful with it?

SgtSilicon wrote:

Good thing there are standards then. Imagine if you thought people driving on the right side of the road instead of the left were idiots. Read RFC 1855.
SgtSilicon wrote:
(top posting corrected)

Only idiots think that top-posting is superior. Sorry.
THAT from our friend who calls himself DIZZY ;)
mike hunt

yes.
Not necessarily.
I assume mental midgets do not know how to or care to distinguish fact (i.e., country of ownership, balance of payments for debtor nation (US) versus non debtor nation (Japan), manufacturer country of origin, real estate property tax abatement for non domestic manufacturers, rice steel versus real steel, rice glass versus real glass, when will the Japanese call in our debt) from opinion (i.e., GM, Ford and Chrysler designs and executives are bad), and the popularity of any brand of vehicles doesn't change opinions about it to facts or vice-versa.

????
--
Spike

Correction; it's now when will China call in their debt. China has been supporting the USA deficit for some time by buying USA treasury bills. Several hundred billion and counting.

MAJOR FOREIGN HOLDERS OF TREASURY SECURITIES (in billions of dollars)
2005 Jan Mainland China 223.5
http://www.treas.gov/tic/mfh.txt

fact
(US)
Why isn't Treasury's own site more up-to-date? Since January, estimates are that we're giving the Chinese an extra $30 billion per month. Not all of that will be in t-bills, of course.
This is in the Washington Post:
The Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/09/AR2006010901042_pf.html
China Set to Reduce Exposure to Dollar
Move Would Probably Push Currency Down
By Peter S. Goodman Washington Post Foreign Service
SHANGHAI, Jan. 9 -- China has resolved to shift some of its foreign exchange reserves -- now in excess of $800 billion -- away from the U.S. dollar and into other world currencies in a move likely to push down the value of the greenback, a high-level state economist who advises the nation's economic policymakers said in an interview Monday.
Why do all the Bush haters always see what they perceive to be the negative side of every issue? Chinas purpose is to reinforce its controlled currency which is over inflated, by slowing the GROWTH.of the dollar. ;)
mike hunt