Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

But there's a difference between being able to stop the line and being able to stop the line. Companies like Toyota and the old IBM (I don't know about them now) would have infinite tolerance it, but most imply there's a limit to it. With the latter my company tries to fool management with elaborate nonsense that essentially tells them to slow down production.

Ford and GM won't become like Toyota or Honda until most of the executives have worked on the production line.

Reply to
rantonrave

But GM could.

Why? GM has no pride in America or Americans and hasn't created even one new net job in the U.S. in 20-30 years.

Reply to
rantonrave

That's not what internal GM documents from the early 1990s said, the newest ones I know about.

Honda, Toyota, and maybe Subaru have made the overall Japanese quality tally better than Ford's or GM's, while Suzuki, Isuzu, and maybe Nissan have been nothing special.

Reply to
rantonrave

And in 1985, Kmart was much larger than Wal-mart, while today it's 80% smaller.

What reason does GM have to exist? In other words, what can GM do better than anybody else, other than lobby the U.S. government for a bailout? Quality is good but not the best. Costs are high (even excluding health care and pension costs). Hours to produce each vehicle are high. Car designs are bad (but trucks are good). Corporate leadership is poor and clueless.

Reply to
rantonrave

Trucks are shit too. We see 4-year old chevys and GMCs rusted through around here.

Ever see a Canyon up close? Plain, ugly, crude.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I owned a 95 S-10. It started rusting on the GAS TANK before I'd had it a year. Hinge pin on the driver's door, too.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

and how many have you sat in on?

Reply to
why, me

You forgot to say in my opinion, since the millions of the folks buying those millions of GM vehicles today disagree with your assesment. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You had problem with your GM vehicle therefore all GM vehicles are bad, right? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So, with all those sales, how's Ford doing?

's Debt Is Lowered Two More StepsBy MICHELINE MAYNARDPublished: January 6, 2006DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 5 - Even before Ford Motor introduces the turnaroundplan it is calling The Way Forward, Standard & Poor's clearly thinks that itmay not be.

S.& P. put Ford's debt rating two notches further into junk on Thursday, less than a month after a similar move at General Motors.

I'll leave GM's prospects to your imagination.

Reply to
DH

The point was those CV hold up better than ANY of the FWD vehicles tested for use in sever Taxi service, foreign or domestic. Any vehicle on the market today can easily run to 200K trouble free, given minimal maintenance. I own a half dozen old cars that are in great condition with anywhere for

110K to 300K on the clock.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hum Bullshit!

Currently Daimler Chrysler assembles all of their Dodge RAM trucks in Mexico. The so called new "Hemi" engine is also assembled in Mexico...

Would you care to check your facts and maybe restate your position?

Reply to
351CJ

You forgot to say in my opinion, since both GM and Ford sell millions more of their vehicles annually in the US than any foreign manufacture. You are entitled to your opinion, but obviously your opinion is that of a minority.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Lots of 'ifs' your post. The naysayers had Chrysler going out of business in the seventies and Ford in the eighties but they are both still here. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Lets face it many buyers believe the brand they buy is the best, and the rest are junk, that is why they buy what they buy and more buyers by GM vehicles than any other. Ford and Chrysler follow and Toyota and Honda are forth and firth. Toyota owners in particular love to disparage other brands for some reason, perhaps they want to justify to themselves why they paid so much more to buy a vehicle that is nor better or worse than the others. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Uhh, Hey Mikey, there are actually only 2 domestic automobile manufactures left in the US, Daimler Chrysler is a German company... Doh!

Reply to
351CJ

Thank is true but their share is shrinking every year.

Reply to
Dave

A long time ago there was a salesman sent from Japan to USA to investigate if they could sell them a car they were making in Japan

The telephone connections were not very good

The salesman went to USA and showed some people pictures of the car then he went on the phone to headquarters and told them to send one car over and he thought it would be best to put a brandname on the car he had heard people talk about when he showed the picture "Toy auto"

After the car came over the car sold immediately and the salesguy phoned back to order another one and the reply at headquarters was "Dat soon?"

Reply to
gosinn

No, apparently it isn't a minority. The complaints are massive.

Nobody gives a shit how many vehicles GM and Ford sell, Mike. Americans even bought the Yugo.

Reply to
<HLS

Toyota and GM are pretty much neck-and-neck in total vehecle sales, as many news accounts state. I was fustrated by an inability to find a news source that does not play fast and loose with the terms "cars" (excluding trucks) and "vehicles" (including trucks), but obviously GM's sales are a higher percentage of trucks, making Toyota the maker of the most cars.

Reply to
dizzy