Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

Page 6 of 13
[top-posting deleted, unread]
Mike, why do you top-post? Top-posting violates usenet netiquette policy, makes it hard to understand your who or what post your post
is referring to. And several people have told you that it is very annoying.
Why would you continue to do it? Do you want to annoy people or are you a newbie who doesn't know any better? If you are the latter, you should lurk for awhile, to see how the rest of the posters do it.
cordially, as always,
rm
When one post at the bottom it requires everyone to scroll all the way to the bottom to read the latest of a zillion posts, at times. By posting at the top one can quickly read the latest post. If not familiar with the thread, can then scroll to the bottom is they choose. I don't stay in a NG long enough to do all that. I read the post that interest me and reply to those where I have something to add to the discussion. Most post that have long lost the intent of the original poster to which I have replied and they are no longer are of interest to me. If you find my method of replying a problem, just skip my posts WBMA. ;)
mike hunt

Sort your postings by date, not by thread.

If you sort your postings by date, there is no "top one." All the postings are the top posting. That's how most of us sort the postings after we have been around awhile.

You should cut away that part of the post that you are not interested in replying to. (it only takes a half a second) Then you just enter your prose underneath the text that you are referring to. This is especially important in larger postings.
Again, I point out to you, that you are either a newbie or you are trying to annoy the long time posters on usenet. It was long ago determined that bottom posting is the policy. You should really adopt it yourself and you will see how much better it is if you give it a chance.
cordially, as always,
rm
cordially, as always,
rm
I'll try
mike hunt

Realto Margarino wrote:

The troll won't listen. Like most all top posters, he's a lazy, selfish, idiot, and if top posting makes his life easier, he's going to do it, even if it makes it worse for everyone who reads his top-posted idiocy.
I top post. I'm not lazy. It is more efficient to the readers. I can easily configure my news reader to start my replies at the top or the bottom so it's no less or more effort in my posting process. The lazy ones are those who keep requiting everything without culling out the uneeded parts. Think what you want.

Do you also drive on what ever side of the road you feel like regardless of normal convention?
Top-posting makes your message incomprehensible to many of your readers. In normal conversation, after all, you don't answer to something that has not yet been said. For your edification, widely observed Usenet etiquette dictates that top posting is absolutely INAPPROPRIATE!
When you quote, you're doing it to provide context. Requiring your readers to scroll down and then back, repeatedly (as they attempt to figure out what the heck you're talking about), is a rather difficult way for you to make the context available. Providing the context up-front will get you better results. There's no way to build a threaded discussion with top-posting. Top-posting severely inhibits others from understanding the conversation, because the context of the conversation is out of order, as in broken. Replying at the top confuses your readers, making any point you're trying to get across very unclear without them scrolling down and back repeatedly, searching to re-integrate context. That extra, wholly unnecessary work leads to reader irritation, or worse, to readers just not bothering with your words at all. Since your object is to get your message across, help your readers follow by placing your words in context, not prior to the context. Doing otherwise, forcing your readers to go to extra work unnecessarily, is often irritating, sometimes interpreted as insulting, or in severe cases taken as attempt by you to show your "power". Any way you cut that, delivering your words in an hard to read manner doesn't help your case. Instead, post in-line to preserve context and respect your readers. http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette /
Top-posting means replying to a message above the original message. This may be a message in an Internet forum, an e-mail message or a Usenet post. Top-posting is considered improper by many definitions of Internet etiquette since it breaks down the flow of the thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting
Top-posting vs bottom-posting Some people like to put reply after the quoted text, some like it the other way around, and still some prefer interspersed style. Debates about which posting style is better have lead to many flame wars in the forums. To keep forum discussion friendly, please follow the general preference, which is bottom-posting http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting By A. Smit and H.W. de Haan Below you can find our arguments why bottom-posting is better than top-posting. http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

There are laws proscribed for driving on public roadways. Individual preference is the rule here. Is that the best you can do? It's pretty lame.

I disagree. I think it is very comprehensible for most people most of the time, and in the times it isn't, the option is there to quick scroll down to check the context. That's my comment on the subjective point. Objectively you also are factually wrong about the not having yet been said. It HAS been said. That's how it was able to be quoted in the 1st place you doof!
It's as if you have this mental barrier that you just can't get past, that each posting stands alone. And as such, each posting must start off with (at the top) all previous parts of the discussion. Then the reader needs to read a complete history of all postings on the subject before reading a bit of new material. Then, when the reader goes to the next message in the thread (immediately after they read this one) they should do it all over again in the next message, because hey, after all, each message has to stand all alone right? NOT! In usenet, postings are part of a thread. I'll give you a big hint to help your problem. Stop doing primary sorting by date, and start organizing by thread 1st. It's the smart way to do it, regardless what posting styles are being used.

You can adopt the sheep mentality if you like. I think for myself. I wish you could "observe" my middle finger about now.

Funny, I hardly ever have a problem with that. You really need to primarily start organizing your reading by thread, not date.

Opinion. One I disagree with. You don't seem to have too much trouble responding to my posts. Honestly now, are you claiming it is too hard to scroll down to scan the context if needed, but it isn't a big deal to have to do the scrolling to get to the fresh material each and every time? If so that is soooo illogical.

Sure there is. Maybe you should better learn how to use a news reader to advantage.

It's right below new material! If you consider that a hard nut to crack, then I guess I'm starting to realize what I'm dealing with here.

Sigh. Can you say "bahh"? There is plenty of support for top posting too. I prefer to debate my stance on my own. There once was a man named Copernicus who suggested it was wise to understand that the earth and other planets revolved around the sun. Convention said that no, everything rotated around the earth. Oh the great ones that were quoted, even the great Aristotle and others. And yet even so, Calumnious was right; convention was wrong.
SgtSilicon wrote:
(top posting corrected)

Nope. It not only prevents quality, point-by-point discussion, but if often multiplies the effort of reading and understanding a post, because one must scroll-down into the post to see what is being responded to, and then back up to the top to read the response.

It's obviously less effort than properly formatting and trimming your response as I am doing. This is not really "top vs. bottom" so much as "right vs. wrong". There's no way a top post can match the quality of communication of an interleaved post like this one.

Those who don't properly trim are indeed lazy, as you say. However, they are not "the lazy ones" - they are only a subset of the lazy ones.

So you claim that top posters are the lazy ones, then claim that those who do not cull their quoted material are lazy but only as a subset of the true lazy ones. That means you are saying that bottom posters never fail to properly cull their quoted material, or it means you are saying that if they do fail we shouldn't label them lazy. Are you daft sir? Is not there mountains of evidence of bottom posting full quoting idiots even here in this very newsgroup?
SgtSilicon wrote:

I've said or implied nothing of the kind. Suffering from reading comprehension problems?

Non sequitur.

How ironic, coming from a logically-handicapped top-poster.

It happens, sure.

[...]

Mikey is not a newbie. Once again, from a user in the group he regularly pollutes (and we can't get him to go away, either)...
Please Don't Feed The Troll.
--<< Bruce >>--
Jon R Patrick wrote:

So if someone else is a lazy, selfish idiot, that gives you the right to be one as well?
Sound rationale has been provided. You respond by insults like idiot then here's one for you.... go f*ck yourself.

SgtSilicon wrote:

No, only illogical nonsense has been provided - the same wrong-headed nonsense I've read a hundred times from lazy, stupid, selfish, top-posting idiots trying to defend their lazy, stupid, selfish ways.
"It's easier for me, fuck everyone else."
You are genuinely stupid.

It does give me the right to put my post at the top, where people can read it quickly and move on. You can insult as much as you want, but I've been online for many years, and I've never thought the 'bottom post' was a better way of doing it. J
Jon R Patrick wrote:

Except that's not how it works. People have to read down below your response to see what the hell you're talking about.

Then you are an idiot.
Dizzy, you are truly stupid.