Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

Page 7 of 13
I don't know anything about you, beyond this thread, but it is absolutely amazing to me that you come across like a 15-year old who read somewhere that botttom-posting is the only acceptable way to do it,
and you're going to carry your banner all over the usenet. Honestly, you don't like what I say because I re: on top.... killfile me. It's a stupid argument, where you feel your way is the only.

years,

Jon R Patrick wrote:

You don't know anything about who, top poster? Oh, I see, you want us all to read down into the post to see who are are talking about, and then go back to the top to try and make sense of your post.

How ironic, coming from the person too lazy and selfish to properly format his post to maximize the quality of discussion. How VERY ironic, from the person who just wants to rant-away at the top, while ignoring all the points of the previous poster.

Wrong again, top-poster. It was immediately obvious to me that "quote and reply" is the ONLY way to have a quality discussion, and that only lazy, selfish idiots think that top-posting is superior.
"Oh dear, I don't want to scroll down." Umm... That's why proper trimming is performed. Just because some "bottom posters" are too lazy to trim does not mean that we should all abandon any hope of quality, point-by-point discussions and start ranting-away at the top.

The fact that you top-post is strong evidence that you have nothing of value lend to the discussion, no doubt.

It is the only correct way. Only idiots think that top-posting is the superior way.
I didn't have to scroll down to figure out who he's referring to. If you are following the thread, (which I figure you're to stupid to do), you don't need to scroll down to figure out the progression of the thread.

it,
Exactly. This Dizzy guy has some apparent real intelligence problems.

SgtSilicon wrote:

Exactly what, top poster?

Only idiots think that top posting is superior. You are an idiot, and are unqualified to pass judgement on those of use with brains.

Top posting is inferior for a number of reasons as I have already provided. Learn how to read, you top-posting moron.
P.S. At least leave a blank line between your post and the one that (unfortunately) follows, cretin.
Dizzy, if it weren't for your vileness, I might actually pity you.

I agree with DIZZY as well. I think everyone should bottom post
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

I think it is best to toppost
You are entitled to your own opinion, but I still think it is better to bottom post ;)
mike hunt

It has nothing to do with his way. You should look in the mirror, you look like the stupid teenager who thinks walking in the lane of traffic is cool and he will make the cars swerve to avoid him all 130 pounds of him against a 8000 pounds of pickup... Like these disruptive immature kids, you are trying to defy normal convention. Who do you really think "comes across like a 15-year old"?
Top-posting makes your message incomprehensible to many of your readers. In normal conversation, after all, you don't answer to something that has not yet been said.
For your edification, widely observed Usenet etiquette dictates that top posting is absolutely INAPPROPRIATE!
Top posting is not incomprehensible because the content was often recently read in a previous message. The only people it might be tough for are those who do NOT FOLLOW THREADS. If you are one of those people, I suggest you start following posts by thread 1st and not by time stamp 1st.

I think I see at least part of the problem here, displayed more obviously by ditszy than your post. I understand and certainly respect your desire to post at the bottom... I still contend it's more labor intensive and wasteful and I choose to not do it that way. I believe my way is better. :)
However, it's not an all or nothing proposition. when the topic is complex enough and there are multiple things to address, I will clip out and insert text after the relevant discussion (just like this). However, self-richeous bottom posters who repost days and days worth of quoted text only to provide 1 thought at the bottom is my specific beef with the topic.

Big deal. Net etiquette can and does change daily as companies change and modify their approach and attempt to make their 'mark' on the internet. my preference to top post single replies is choice. Besides, to quote carlos mencia "i didn't get the f****** memo." with the nettiquette rules I had to follow! ;)
I am not a Usenet historian but I wonder if bottom posting had something to do with relative primitive editing and low bandwidth issues early on in the game. I for one prefer to read top posting in almost every case since I have usually been following the thread and don't want to scroll down pages of comment I have already read. Just imagine how long a single post on this thread would be with everyone bottom posting. And if you are going to heavily edit previous comments you might as well top post and let the reader go back in the thread as needed. I do appreciate specific comments inserted, where appropriate, in a reply.
Since this has become a formatting thread I do have a question. Many of my posts have weird line breaks when they show up on usenet. I am using Outlook express, plain text, Western European (ISO)
Thank You Howard
Howard Nelson wrote:

Bottom posting is actually the correct form for usenet posting. See RFC 1855. Section 3.1.1
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html
"3.1.1 General Guidelines for mailing lists and NetNews"
"If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not include the entire original!"
Top posting was "innovated" by Microsoft when they ignored this (among many other) internet standards.
Posting should follow normal written text (top to bottom) this makes searching the answer to a question possible. You may be searching for something years later and find a thread and need to have it readable.
Howard Nelson wrote:

No. Top-posting is an inferior way to format a post. Bandwidth is not relevant.

That is why posts should be trimmed of the parts no longer being actively discussed. There usually should NOT be any large amount of scrolling to get to the meat of the discussion. Check any of my posts, for examples.

Top posting is SUPERIOR. Bandwidth IS relevant, and so is the idiocy of not trimming quotes.
I have a simple questions for you and other bottom post supporters.
1. Do you agree that reading quoted material is not always needled as it might have just been recently read in its original post?
2. Do you agree that bottom posting will force a reader to scroll past the quoted EACH and EVERY time in order to just be able to read the new material? Barring of course situations where all is visible one screen.
3. Do you agree that IF, the reader does not find it necessary to re-read the quoted material, then having to navigate past it in a bottom posting environment is wasteful?
4. In a top posting environment, If the reader DOES find it necessary to reference the quoted material, do you agree that the effort to do so is similar to the efforts described in #3 above?
5. Since most posts do not fit in a single viewing pane, isn't it obvious that bottom posting will require the reader to scroll on almost every message, whereas top postings only require it when context is not already understood?
6. Is not a system which requires less effort to achieve the goal the more efficient system?

SgtSilicon wrote:

Only idiots think that.

No, it is not, in regards to the the best way to format a post.

Not trimming can be bad, too.

Your use of "not always needed" shows the dishonesty and illogic of your argument.
Of course it's "not always needed". But it IS almost always better.

"Interleaved" posting, like this, is the correct way.

A properly-trimmed post will not have you "scrolling" to get to the new material.

Why do you keep saying "bottom posting", as if the alternative to posting everything on top is posting everything on the bottom?
In any case, no. Keeping some context is a GOOD THING, so can hardly be called "wasteful".
What's "wasteful" is how top posters almost NEVER trim their posts.

Not even close. A properly formatted post, like this one, is of vastly higher-quality, and is more easily understood, compared to successive blocks of text as are left by stupid top-posters.

Are you mentally retarded? This has already been explained (see the very last paragraph of this post).

Making it a REAL pain, jumping down and up to try to comprehend a top post.

The most efficient system is that where the poster properly formats and trims his response to maximize quality of communication. The extra effort by the one person then benefits the MANY who will read the post.

I think DIZZY is correct it is not that hard to read all of the other posts, when they are posted often enough but then again if I had posted on the top you would most likely be reading the next message by now
mike hunt

posts,
Mike I believe you are being deliberately obtuse, since I know you're not really that stupid. Too bad I can't say the same for SgtSillycon.
Dave
I am NOT overweight ;)
mike hunt
wrote