Toyota quality

Page 1 of 5
Gotta love it!!

iluv my kitties and family wrote:

They keep this up and they will be another GM.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

What ever makes you think that? GM has only a few minor recalls and they are not widespread.

Never, owner a reliable GM -Dexcool put put me over the bridge. Not saying they are not nice looking cars and like the way they were forced to change.

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:20:34 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

And Toyota has very few. This one is being handled right. They do not know yet what is causing the problem, and from what I hear they do not even know FOR SURE if there IS a problem with the vehicle as it leaves the factory. They stopped building to avoid having a pile of cars on the lot that need retrofitting, and they have not laid off ONE PERSON on account of the layoff. The dealers may not do as well ----
It's going to be interesting to find out what they DO eventually find.
Really, a very few? You need to go to the NHTSA site if THAT is what you believe. Toyota has been number one, or two, in total recalls for the past several years.

Wrong! Toyota's trying to spin it that way, but it was NOT a voluntary recall. It was ordered by NHTSA under Chapter 301 of the Motor Safety Code. Worse yet, USA Today reported that Toyota's known of this problem for THREE years!
http://detnews.com/article/20100127/AUTO01/1270400/1148/auto01/U.S.--Toyota-was-legally-required-to-stop-selling-models#ixzz0drxtXJat
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toyota-sales-halt-was-federally-mandated /
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/26/news/companies/toyota_recall/index.htm?hpt=Sbin
Derek
WOW I can hear the shark lawyers like John Edwards on TV, already. "Do you own any of the following Toyota models year 19XX to 20YY? Were you hurt or a family member hurt of killed driving one that ran away? Toyota KNEW they were killers but kept selling them. We can get you the money you deserve." Call "Dewey, Chetem and Howe. PC LLC." (Not available in N. Carolina or Nevada)

http://detnews.com/article/20100127/AUTO01/1270400/1148/auto01/U.S.--Toyota-was-legally-required-to-stop-selling-models#ixzz0drxtXJat
Yeah! How dare those evil law firms try to get compensation for losses due to the criminal negligence of corporations! Don't they know that simply cuts into the CEO's compensation?
On 1/27/2010 8:37 PM, Mike Hunter wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:26:25 -0600, zimpzampzormp

Seems the Americans don't know how to drive as well as canadians, because although there have been reports of sticking throttles in Canada there have not only been no DEATHS attributed to it here, but also NO ACCIDENTS - According to Toyota Canada
ALSO - the latest information.
In a filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Toyota said the latest problem was in the pedal sensors of affected vehicles. When the heater is turned on in a car that is cold, internal water condensation on the cold parts can cause a sliding component inside the gas pedal assembly to stick instead of move smoothly. The defect may cause the throttle to stick in an open position or to move stiffly during opening and closing, requiring more pedal pressure.
This re-enforces my opinion that it is a materials issue - with the damper material (quite possibly nylon) swelling from moisture absorption and binding up.
This SLIDING COMPONENT is a damper, like a dash-pot or shock absorber to prevent the throttle from snapping closed quickly when released, to more closely mimic the action of a mechanical linkage.
The pedal sensor is part of a so-called drive-by-wire throttle system, in which the gas pedal has no direct connection to the engine through a cable or mechanical linkage.
The only way Sudden throttle opening could occur is if the driver ignored the stiffening pedal and STOMPED on it to overcome the resistance of the damper,
SO --- ALL of the sffected vehicles are drive-by wire throttles - and it IS a material problem. The Denso pedals made in Japan are OK, the CTS pedals made in anad and the USA are all suspect.
This is totally unrelated to the earlier problem which caused the Lexus crash in California - which was floormat related and NOT EVEN A TOYOTA FAULT. The vehicle n question had a set of allseason mats from a TOTALLY DIFFERENT VEHICLE thrown in loosly OVER TOP of the correct standard floor mats (which are anchored to the floor to prevent interference with the pedal) The vehicle in question was Japanese built with the Denso pedal, which is NOT affected by the problem, or the recall.
Toyota IS recalling vehicles to check/remedy floor mat issues - and it APPEARS the new pedal assembly will have more floor clearance (a shorter pedal) to help reduce the chance of floormat interference.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Oh please, give me a friggin' break... What are you going to hit? I F!@ing moose?!?! "mah car took off and slid into a ditch, eh??? Spilled mah damn Molsen swill all over the dash, don' ya know!"
....And how can you be taken seriously with that comment when you call us "Americans", and yourselves "canadians"? At least we know we're supposed to capitalize the first letter. Hate this elitist crap. "Come on and try America / American bashing - it's the latest fad!" woo-who!! <yawn>
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

...and by the way - This line is complete bullshit. The problem was found in both drive-by-wire AND mechanical throttles. In addition, the company that made the suspect parts is *gasp* NOT American. The Japanese used a company - dare I say? - in CHINA. Ford halted production of a vehicle yesterday they make in CHINA, not because they had problems, but because it used throttle parts from the same CHINESE factory and until the problem is worked out they don't want a similar problem. This is why the recall by Toyota has been expanded into Europe. It has NOTHING to do with American parts, idiot.
So get off your elitist ass, take your head out of it (and the snowshoe out your mouth) and get your facts straight.
From what I read CTS pedals made in Canada, Brazil and China, not in the US. I any event contractor build to the manufactures specs.

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:33:07 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

From the Financial Post "CTS, which has supplied Toyota with auto parts since 2005, has annual sales of about US$600-million. Toyota makes up about 3% of its sales and the pedals make up almost all of its business with Toyota, said Mr. Walorski.
Mr. Walorski said CTS is aware of eight incidents in which a pedal it made got stuck in a Toyota vehicle. None of those incidents led to an accident, injury, or a sudden burst of acceleration, he said."
CTS manufactures auto parts in Elkhart, Canada, Scotland, the Czech Republic, Mexico, Taiwan and China.
I WAS mistaken - all of the affected Toyota parts have been, and the replacements will be, made in Mississauga (Streetsville) Ontario.

Check your facts. The company is headquartered in the USA. Indiana I believe. The parts are made in 3 American and one Canadian plant.
ALL the affected vehicles are Drive By Wire on THIS recall. The floormat recal is a totally different issue.

How often have we heard from the Toyota loyalist, who love to cross post in domestic brand NGs, tell us Toyota cares more for it buyers than do the domestics?
According to news reports, it will take Toyota several MONTHS to get all of the replacement linkages from it supplier, for the millions of vehicles involved in the recall, into the cars on the road being driven by its customers, who will need them.
Guess where Toyota is going to actually use the parts that their customer NEED? They will be used first for unsold new cars on the dealerships lots, then on the Toyotas in their assembly plants storage lots.
As you drive down the road, keep an eye open for drunks, those texting and runway Toyotas. ;)

Funny, Toyota is helping out GM Vibe customers. LMAO.
http://www.showbizgossips.com/pontiac-vibe-recalls-toyota-recall-list-of-affected-model-includes-pontiac-vibes/4806
On 30/01/2010 10:48 AM, Mike Hunter wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:23:49 -0700, Canuck57 wrote:

http://www.showbizgossips.com/pontiac-vibe-recalls-toyota-recall-list-of-affected-model-includes-pontiac-vibes/4806
They're made on the same ass'y line in Cambridge, ONT.

Actually the Vibe was built by NUMMI in California.
On 30/01/2010 4:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Joint venture betwen Toyota and GM from what I understand. Defective part made in CAW plant in Canada, for a US corporation.