Toyota quality

Page 5 of 5
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:34:23 -0800, SMS wrote:

Almost every Toyota I've had has had one niggling issue, usually repaired at Toyota's expense, or at a greatly discounted cost.
Usually once that was fixed the car was flawless thereafter.
A gas pedal sticking is actually a minor problem with an easy fix. I'd get out the WD 40 and follow with silicon grease or something similar. And I have when the old cable throttles have bound up thanks to NE winters.
But, some will make a mountain out of a molehill. Now, wanna talk about real problems?
Ford Pinto? Crown Victoria?
Get real! What do that have to do with Toyotas that are runaway? Those were vehicle that were HIT by other vehicles, years ago? TODAY people have and are dying riding in runaway Toyotas, or killed being hit by runaway Toyotas, 19 thus far. Many more than died in CV or Pintos that were run to.
Today one must watch our for drunks, texters and TOYOTAS. ;)

You are correct, to a point. They have initiated this HUGE recall on the basis of a VERY low number of confirmed complaints, for a defect that ALWAYS gives a warning. These throttles are not suddenly sticking open. They are getting progressively stiffer untill the return spring can co longer overcome the increased friction.
As far as the "stop sale" order, that is a misnomer. They are still allowed to sel the cars. HOWEVER - it is US Federal law that a vehicle under recall CAN NOT BE DELIVERED TO THE CUSTOMER. This has been law for YEARS. Toyota went beyond the standard by shutting down PRODUCTION of the affected vehicles to prevent a stockpile of defective undeliverable vehicles that would need to be corrected before sale, making it easier on the dealers and hopefully getting the customer vehicles looked after sooner. As for the "Totota knew about the bropblem back in 2004" argument, The NTSC recieved numerous complaints of accelleration under one second in duration - none of which could be substantiated. If they had a problem in 2004 it was not caused by the same issue tyey are dealing with now.
Personally, I am NOT COMFORTABLE with a drive by wire throttle system that does not have a real good failsafe system to close the throttle completely in case of malfunction.
It has been stated by others on this list that both linkage and "by wire" throttles are included in this recall.
Can anyone confirm, by physically looking under the hood of an affected vehicle and confirming it has a mechanical linkage, and including the year and model??? It has been my understanding that all of these defective throttle pedal assemblies are damped electronic throttles - and that it is a damper related problem caused by moisture getting into the damper assembly causing it to bind. Cable or linkage type throttles do NOT have a damper in them.
ALso, this is being blown WAY out of proportion. A very specific set of conditions has to exist for this throttle problem to manifest itself - and it is NOT a sudden onset issue.
It is unfortunate that there have been several supposedly related, yet totally separate, issues surrounding Toyota throttles in the last short time - including "stupidity" relating to floor mats, This "rare" throttle binding issue, and a "possible but unconfirmed" less than 1 second throttle application first reported, but unsubstantiated, back in 2004.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I saw an ad in the paper today for a local dealer still selling Camrys and Corollas that are unaffected by the recall (presumably made in Japan vehicles).

Not in the real world. You have a few nutcases on Usenet that are desperate for bad news regarding Toyota.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:36:56 -0800, SMS wrote:

Not just on Usenet, my...er...friend...

As for bad news, this is pretty bad. There are also a few nutcases who want to spin this news in a positive manner for some reason, even claiming Toyota was being "pro-active" with a recall. So much for that lol. According to reports today, it sounds like the 2010 Prius is next, so we'll be a victim, too.
http://wcco.com/consumer/toyota.gas.pedal.2.1466283.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/02/AR2010020203165.html
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:41:50 -0800, caviller wrote:

Certainly not Brian Williams on NBC, that's for sure...

I had CNN on yesterday and they spent hours (at least it seemed like hours) talking about the Toyota recalls. They had one guy that must have been working for Toyota. He was essentially spouting the Toyota BS about how good they were to stop selling the cars and never mentioned that NHTSA essentially said you stop selling these cars or we will make you. They even interviewed a dealer who repeated the whole BS line about how no car company but Toyota would have stopped selling car in this manner. Of course this is total BS. I am sure he knows that government regulations prohibit selling cars subject to safety recalls, but I suppose the Toyota play book encourages dealers to lie. This is the sort of Toyota BS that drives me crazy. It is bad enough that they spent 3 years trying to cover this problem up, but now they are trying to pretend that screwing their Customers is a good thing.
On the other hand, I do think there is a major over reaction by the press to this issue. The way the press is reacting, you would think Toyotas were running wild on the highways. I haven't seen one out of control yet. This is at least as bad as the Explorer Firestone Tire fiasco. When that was big news I got mad because the press never once compared the rate of Explorer rollover accidents to other similar SUVs (Explorers were near the top in terms of safety, not at the bottom as the press reports might lead one to believe). For this Toyota throttle issue, I think the press should be presenting comparisons to other manufacturers vehicles. They have no problem combing through the NHTSA database to count up the number of complaints against Toyotas. Why aren't they giving us comparable numbers for other manufacturers? I am confident every manufacturer sees unintended acceleration complaints. It may be that Toyota has more than others (corrected for number of vehicles sold) or not. It would be nice to know whether they do or don't.
To be sure, I am glad to see the press highlighting Toyota attempts to cover-up this issue. In fact, I think they need to go back and refer to past cases where Toyota tried to deceive the public and HNTSA about significant safety issues. A little exposure on past problems might finally alert people to Toyota's less than stellar concern for their Customers. I have never understood how Toyota managed to convince people that their cars were especially good. For the record, I don't think Toyotas are especially bad. I just get tired of the "how great they are BS" some people spout. Some are good, some aren't. Some have problems, some don't. My SO and family members all have Toyotas. All are decent vehicles that were selected because they provided a desirable set of characteristics, and except for one, none were selected solely because they were Toyotas (the SO probably bought hers primarily because it was a Toyota, but otherwise, the Toyotas were selected because they seemed like the best balance of features and price).
Ed