Tran. not downshifting without letting off gas in '90 Ford Ranger

Hello all! I have a 1990 Ford Ranger (v6 2.3l) and this has been happening since I aquired the vehicle. I go to accelerate and it won't kick into a lower gear until I let off the gas. A friend of mine was riding with me and said it was a "kick-down" cable. My Haynes manual says that my model isn't equiped with an adjustable one.. but a fixed one (it isn't mounted on the throttle) He suggested it might have come loose inside the transmission and removing the transmission pan cover I should be able to see it and reconnect it. Does that sound plausible? Is there anything else I should check before attempting that? I appreciate it!!!

Reply to
Mwahahahahaaahaa

Well.. I was scoping out the transmission and when flooring the gas pedal, the kickdown lever wasn't moving at all.. but moved by hand, so I check the end that attaches to the gas pedal and the cable must have streched out. I took a pair of vice grips and attached them onto the cable so it would grab sooner, and voila it worked!

Now I need a more permanent fix.. my only question as of now is this. Should the kickdown lever be pulled ONLY when the gas is completely floored? Or halfway down? etc..? That way when I fix it, it won't activate it too soon, as I don't want a destroyed transmission!! Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Mwahahahahaaahaa

"Mwahahahahaaahaa" wrote

MasterBlaster