Tranny Id #?

Greetings to all...
My '96 Continental's transmission is being replaced and I'm haviug some doubts about what's going on with this repair.
Is there an identification number, like a VIN number, for transmissions? If
so, where is it located?
The mechanic said he found a good deal on a used tranny (76K on it) to replace mine (144K on it). He had the car towed to his shop but when I went there the next day to give him the money for the used tranny I saw that he had driven my car 3 miles.
If the tranny's bad, should it be driven? And if it could be driven, why bother to tow it since the shop's only 5 miles away from my house?
This is the first (thankfully!!!) major repair I've had on my car and I'm having a hard time trusting him since I saw that it had been driven.
Is there any way I can ID my tranny and the replacement?
Thanks,
Sandra

There normally is some sort of ID plate or stamping on the transmission itself, but I don't have that information readily at hand.
There should be at least one other source for the transmission identification: the vehicle ID plate, usually on the left front door.
A call to your local dealer's service department should point you in the right direction.

That depends on _how_ bad off the transmission is now. Without knowing that, I wouldn't drove it anywhere except as an absolute last resort.
| George Ruch | "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?"

real obvious I tend to go about ten miles, before and after a repair for a total of about 20 miles.

Thank you George & Thomas...
I appreciate your help...
Sandra
Most Ford products will bear a metal identification tag bolted to the trans case, typically along the barrel. This tag will, among other items, reveal the Ford part number for the trans (usually the largest-type line, at the top of the tag). Given Ford's somewhat poor reputation for automatic transmission longevity, a "good used" transmisison with 76k on the clock is already suspect.
Furthermore, three miles of test driving is certainly considered acceptable. Any shop that proposes to replace a transmission without driving the vehicle in order for the technician to discern the manner of failure is arguably not diagnosing the condition fully/properly. Where I work, any suspected transmission failure that warrants unit replacement is test driven for several miles, duplicating as many operating conditions as possible, and pressure-checked accordingly, before any diagnosis is submitted to a service writer for replacement estimating and customer contact. In short, I would be concerned that the shop only racked up three miles before passing judgement on the trans. Mark
On Sun, 30 May 2004 12:14:55 -0600, Foxy Lady wrote:

Those model cars had both 6 & 8 engines. I don't think you can use a transmission from an a 6 on an 8. I would get all info first.
Dan

Black Bomb wrote:

?
1995 & newer were all 4.6 V-8s.