Tranny Id #?

Greetings to all...

My '96 Continental's transmission is being replaced and I'm haviug some doubts about what's going on with this repair.

Is there an identification number, like a VIN number, for transmissions? If so, where is it located?

The mechanic said he found a good deal on a used tranny (76K on it) to replace mine (144K on it). He had the car towed to his shop but when I went there the next day to give him the money for the used tranny I saw that he had driven my car 3 miles.

If the tranny's bad, should it be driven? And if it could be driven, why bother to tow it since the shop's only 5 miles away from my house?

This is the first (thankfully!!!) major repair I've had on my car and I'm having a hard time trusting him since I saw that it had been driven.

Is there any way I can ID my tranny and the replacement?

Thanks,

Sandra

Reply to
Foxy Lady

There normally is some sort of ID plate or stamping on the transmission itself, but I don't have that information readily at hand.

There should be at least one other source for the transmission identification: the vehicle ID plate, usually on the left front door.

A call to your local dealer's service department should point you in the right direction.

That depends on _how_ bad off the transmission is now. Without knowing that, I wouldn't drove it anywhere except as an absolute last resort.

| George Ruch | "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?"

Reply to
George Ruch

Part of diagnosing a transmission problem is driving it. Unless the problem is real obvious I tend to go about ten miles, before and after a repair for a total of about 20 miles.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thank you George & Thomas...

I appreciate your help...

Sandra

Reply to
Foxy Lady

Most Ford products will bear a metal identification tag bolted to the trans case, typically along the barrel. This tag will, among other items, reveal the Ford part number for the trans (usually the largest-type line, at the top of the tag). Given Ford's somewhat poor reputation for automatic transmission longevity, a "good used" transmisison with 76k on the clock is already suspect.

Furthermore, three miles of test driv> Greetings to all...

Reply to
Marky

Those model cars had both 6 & 8 engines. I don't think you can use a transmission from an a 6 on an 8. I would get all info first.

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

?