Tranny trouble on my 1988 Ford Bronco II

Can anybody explain to me why my transmission would be slipping? My Bronco is an automatic transmission. I always have to shift gears manually for some reason. Once the car is put into drive it does not want to stay. If
anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it.
I would also like to ask if going to salvage another transmission from a parts yard would be a good idea. Where are the WMD's George? War, Lies, and Corporate Ties! Beat Bush in 2004!
Ford's later-model slushboxes have never been known to be durable. When an automatic slips, it is typically caused by: 1) Low fluid level. 2) Old, deteriorated or contaminated fluid. 3) Improper TV cable adjustment. 4) Cavitation/aeration of fluid (overfilled, overheating, etc.) 5) Worn frictions. 6) Worn sealing rings/seals bleeding off apply pressure.
You can try replacing the fluid if it is old or is off-color, smells burnt, etc., but if it's a high-mileage unit and/or has been slipping for more than a hundred miles or so, I would not hold my breath.
Ensure that the TV cable is properly adjusted. Misadjustment causes all sorts of bad behavior and eventual failure. This is particularly true of the AOD (I believe your truck would be so-equipped?)
Your chances of finding one in a salvage yard that actually works are very slim. If you do decide to take the chance, drop the pan to inspect before pulling and purchasing.
If a fluid top-off/change and TV adjustment does not rectify the situation, and you desire to keep the vehicle, perform or have performed line pressure checks for further diagnosis, but a rebuild is a good possibility.