Trans Indicator H E L P !!!!!

I have a 99 Explorer, I bought new. The indicator on the dash shows it is in Reverse when in Park. Neutral is Reverse. Very frustrating. Any suggestions or remedies would be appreciated.
Thanks, Barbara
Adjust it.

I don't know about your particular model, but on older (70's) Fords the indicator is activated by a nylon cord. There is an adjustment on the steering column under the lower shroud. If it's like the old ones, you'll see a plastic piece with a tube running towards the dashboard. It's held in place by one screw. Loosen the screw and you can move the plastic piece to adjust it.