Trans trouble

I have a 1992 Lincoln Mark VII.Thetransmission works fine until you use overdrive.Once in overdrive it slips as soon as you get to 45mph.In normal drive it works fine.I found out it could be a TV Bushing.Where is this
located and is it something that can be done at home?
ToddPriest2 wrote:

The bushing is located on the end of the TV cable at the throttle body. Here's a link to a tech article: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html If you have driven the car much at all with the cable disconnected, the OD band is likely toast. It only takes a few miles. If you end up shopping for a trans, keep in mind that the Mark VII trans is rather unique. AODs used in Lincolns are a bit shorter than the AOD used in other Ford cars. A Town Car trans will physically fit, but is calibrated differently for smoother shifts at different RPMs.
Okay.Thanks for the info.I guess it sounds like I may as well leave it the way it is.I do mainly city driving anyway.Guess the mileage will be a bit worse if I take it out of town.Thanks again for the help.

normal
Here's a

OD band is

is rather

Ford cars.

smoother
hey Tom.I went out to the car and took a pic.it is exactly as the link showed.This cable is completely disconnected.Is there any chance that putting this part back on may get it working again or would you say my OD is completely toast?Will this bother the regular drive?Everything else seems to work just fine.

normal
Here's a

OD band is

is rather

Ford cars.

smoother
ToddPriest2 wrote:

The bushing needs to be replaced, leaving it disconnected will trash the rest of the trans very quickly. For ~$3 and 5 minutes, you might get lucky and the OD will work. DO NOT drive it until you replace the bushing if you have any hope of saving the trans.
Lugnut, all of the Mark VII AODs were controlled via a TV cable. They never got the AOD-E.
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:01:16 GMT, "ToddPriest2"

IIRC, ur Mark has the electronic AOD-E trans which does not use the bushing. It is electronically controlled. If the trans converter is slipping or shuddering, the first thing to do is a complete service including changing the filter and draining the converter to get all the old fluid out. Refill with Dexron fluid and use either Shudderfix or Lubegard Red additive in the correct amount for the fluid installed. If it is a fluid problem, it should clear within 50-100 miles of driving if not immediately. Both the AOD and the AOD-E also have a weak point in the OD band which engages around 40MPH in normal acceleration. If it is a band problem, you are in for a rebuild. If it is a failed converter, you may as well rebuild because of the R&R labor expense. If you have a lot of miles on it and service has been neglected, ur chances of salvaging it are greatly diminished. The longer u drive it while slipping the closer u r to complete failure.
Lugnut
Actually Tom is right.I just went out and looked and it does have this.It is hanging.The bushing fell completely out.I will send a picture.
wrote:

normal
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 16:27:13 GMT, "ToddPriest2"

Thanks. I could not remember if your was electronic for sure. They went to the electronic in 1992 or 93. The electronic was a big improvement over the earlier AOD.
Lugnut