Transmission Fluid Filler Tube Removal

My 1998 Ford Contour is leaking transmission fluid where the rubber seal is. How do I remove the filler tube? Is it threaded, or does it just pull out?
Thanks!
GoBigOrange40778 wrote:

go to www.contour.org and get the best informed info from people who have had this problem.... but i think that you have one screw holding down the part of the tube that goes into the trans. remove the one screw and then pull it out and then put new O-ring on the dip stick tube and install and put the screw back in......
Jim,
Thanks for the info. I actually just went to the contour.org site and it is so big it is overwhelming. I am going to look for the screw and peruse the site a little bit more.
Brian
Hey Jim Thanks,
I got the filler tube out. Unfortunately the O-ring looks okay. I was hoping it would be dry-rotted or torn which would confirm my suspicions that the fluid was leaking from there.
Brian.

GoBigOrange40778 wrote:

even if the O-ring looks OK, replace it and clean up where it is mated to so it will seal correctly.... you did say it was leaking from there didn't you?
I degreased everything and filled the fluid back up. When it leaked again, it was obviously coming from somewhere on top. I crawled underneath and there was about a cm gap between the 0-ring and the lip on the filler tube. There was also a little red trail that originated from the o-ring. They look like they should be mated up and after getting the tube out they do mate up perfectly. The o-ring may have been okay but the tube got bent or such so they did not seal well. I have cleaned up the tube and am going to venture out to find a new o-ring. I don't know how much luck I will have on a Sunday. Might have to wait till Monday and go to the dealer parts shop.

Mission accomplished. I got the O-ring and it was much thicker than the one I pulled out and I was then able to tell the ribs inside had worn down. Everything is back together. Yeah! The night I saw all that fluid just dump out I thought for sure it was going to cause over a grand to fix. Fortunately only 69 cents.