Transmission Ford Tempo 1994

It will not shift into second gear until 30 mph. It will not shift into third gear until 50 mph. When you slow down it downshifts like somebody slammed on the brakes. We have checked the transmission fluid level. What else could be wrong?

Reply to
litt1111

Is that a ATX/FLC transmission? If so, sounds like your TV cable/linkage may be out of adjustment.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Yep. More specifically, the link between the throttle lever and the trans (TV linkage). The bushings wear and the link falls off. If it is the upper bushing, the TV lever will jam in the down {full Throttle) position. I've seen this a few times. If the linkage is intact, the Throttle Valve in the transmission valve body often sticks in ATX transmissions. This requires removal of the TB to repair. Replacement valve assemblies are no longer available, but I've had good luck removing the valve, cleaning off the burrs and using a small amount of valve lapping compound between the valve and bore. The Escort\Tempo ATX trans was pretty solid but the sticking TV plagued them somewhat for their entire run. It wasn't "common" but happened often enough that most techs know about it. Not being a tranny guy, I replaced a bunch of ATXs on used cars before I learned to check the throttle valve first. It's not a difficult repair, but it can be daunting for a DIYer. If you find that this is the problem (linkage intact and adjusted properly), post back here and I'll help you through it.

Tom Adkins

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I just remembered. If Your Tempo is a 4 cyl, it uses a metal link to the TV. If it's a 3.0 6cyl, it uses a cable. The TV concern happened on both configurations, but was more common on the V6, cable operated cars. At least in my experience.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

It can happen on the link type too. Fortunately, the repair is pretty simple.

(place in Drive position, loosen the trunion nut at the top of the linkage, push TV lever all the way forward until it hits it's stop, then put the nut back on, and tighten)

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Valve body or the gear set for the governor - speedometer drive.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill