Transmission "jerking" on '95 Escort

I've got a 95 with 98K on it. When shifting from first to second, there's a noticeable "jerk" that occurs, but ONLY when the car is cold (i.e. for the first 5-7 minutes of operation).

Of course, I'm in Cleveland, and it's getting colder.

Any advice?

Bill

Reply to
DeaconBasil

Have you done any transmission maintenance on this vehicle?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Sounds like it's time for a fluid and filter change...

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

I think he has a manual transmission, probably the clutch.

Reply to
Matt

No maintenance yet. Took the car to a local repair shop. Their story was that the trannie is fried, and would need to be replaced. Although they've been reliable in the past, I question this diagnosis since it behaves just fine after warmup.

Planned to change fluid and filter over the weekend, though. BTW, it IS an automatic. Thinking of putting one of the "transmission flush" products through it before the change. If anyone has any experience with these fluids, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Bill

Reply to
DeaconBasil

Don't expect miracles with the tranny flush chemicals...they CAN help to some extent (Trans-X worked fairly well for my C4, )

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown