Transmission 'JUMPS' Ford/LM

99 LM trani 'jumps' slightly into first coming to full stop... trani guys say no problem; never happened with old planetary Town Car tranis...this new electronic stuff is an irritant
Reply to
dad1wood

If you feel what I think you are talking about as the vehicle is slowing between 30-35 mph, you are feeling the converter unlock and the trans downshift as it should. The older ones did not do this. There was an update a few years ago on the converter solenoid that makes it operate more positively to reduce converter lock time and shudder which you would like even less. This is usually only noticeable to those who prefer a slushbox over a real transmission. It should be damn near undetectable if you have had the trans serviced every 25-30k miles as your should. This condition can be smoothed out considerably with a complete service including draining the converter. The service is not complete unless you drain the converter. I do not recommend the flushing method for this trans since the converter can be drained and the pan need to come off anyway to replace the filter. BTW, your transmission uses planetary gear sets and, they are never going back to the "good ol' days" which we do not always remember as they really were.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut