TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS 88 LINCOLN

:( :arrow: :?: :!: Hi, I have a 1988 Lincoln Towncar that I seem to be having transmission problems with. When I start up and start going it will not go into first gear, it just makes that whining sound.
Then after about 10 minutes of driving 20 to 25 mph, it kicks into the next gear. In order to get it to go into third, which is about as high as I can get it, 40- 45mph, I have to put it into the second drive gear. The engine gets really hot fast. Someone told me it was not the transmission, but something in the throttle body, and they replaced whatever it was with little pieces that look like rubber washerts. They said the one or ones on there were dry rotten and that was causing my problems. Please someone help me out!!!! :?
Sounds like you're talking about the Throttle Valve Cable linkage. Keep driving with it detached and you can kiss your tranny goodbye if it's not ruined already.
Look at the throttle linkage. One cable goes from the throttle to the transmission. If you're lucky, you'll find yours detached. If it is, you'll still need to take the thing to someone who can set the transmission pressure.
CJB

http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Mecury-TRANSMISSION-PROBLEMS-88-LINCOLN-ftopict124702.html