Transmission question on a 92 Ranger

I have a 92 Ranger that seems to be stuck in Drive. I can move it from drive to 1st and 2nd, but cannot get it past OD. I talked with a tranny guy and he said to drop the pan and look to see if something is
binding it. Seems to be the manual valve is not moving but one way. What I am wanting to know (if there is somebody that does know this), can I take the manual valve out without removing the valve body? I need to get that "Z" hook off of course, and it looks like it will go out further. My concern is that my service manual does not show anything inside of the valve body around that manual valve. If I were to remove it, would springs fall out? I hate to spend a lot of $$ on my old beater truck, but I would like to see if I can take it apart.
I guess if the question to #1 is can it come apart, and the answer is yes, is there any way to purchase just this valve?
Thanks for the reply,
Stu
Also, it has a 2.9 v6 and it's 4WD. The transmission is a A4LD transmission. Thought I would throw that in.