Transmission Range Sensor Jeopardy...

I just had to change the "Transmission Range Sensor" switch or TRS in FordSpeak on my '97 3.0 Taurus(at 163,000 miles).

Anyone care to guess how I knew it needed replacement?

Here's a hint - there were no transmission or driveability problems for the couple of weeks leading up to doing the job(I knew it had to be done, I had the part in the car with me, it just took a while to get around to it).

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The radio would cut out when you put the trans in reverse or drive ;)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Trouble getting starter to run?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yup. Just the remote amp section, though. The control head & remote tuner were still functioning fine.

The radio issue wasn't that bad, I have enough stuff in the car to keep me occupied w/o broadcast radio.

The real bother was that the windows would not operate, and the power steering would cut out, in any position other than P or N. The seat belt light would flicker, too, along w/ a bunch of relays under the dash "clicking about".

The real clincher that triggered the repair session was the loss of the delay wipers, and washers, while under way. This became more of a safety issue, so the new TRS went in. Gotta love the TRS PCM GEM associations!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Well, that would be a problem, but it did not materialize that way and I just kept driving. T. Adkins got it - partially anyway.

The radio issue wasn't that bad, I have enough stuff in the car to keep me occupied w/o broadcast radio.

The real bother was that the windows would not operate, and the power steering would cut out, in any position other than P or N. The seat belt light would flicker, too, along w/ a bunch of relays under the dash "clicking about".

The real clincher that triggered the repair session was the loss of the delay wipers, and washers, while under way. This became more of a safety issue, so the new TRS went in. Gotta love the TRS PCM GEM associations!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The circuit that seems to first be affected is the radio "mute" circuit when the TRS starts to fail. Upon the first sign of failure, the radio seems to be the only thing affected. With that being said, yep, you're right about the windows and PS. I had forgoten about those. That is the "next" failure mode of the TRS, along with various oither accessories. I worked for Hertz when those cars were new and the big complaint was about the radio. It was some time later that I discovered that the windows and VAPS were also affected. Even later (1999-2002) at the dealer, the complaint was usually the radio cutting out. The customers didn't seem to notice the lack of power windows or steering assist and other things when they finally brought the car in for service. I never saw the problems with the seat belt light, wipers washers, etc that you mention. I'll take half of the cookie for my guess. I didn't exctly "win" by your GEM related experience. WOW!

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hey Rob, OT, but... Your monicker is trainfan1. I take it that you're a bit of a rail buff. I don't know where you are but I want to pass this on. I'm involved with the Lake Shore Railway Association that is rebuilding the Lorain and West Virginia north through Lorain County in Ohio.(~26 miles) Our operating season starts this weekend. If you're interested, check out

Tom Adkins

Im a Lionel guy, sometimes railfanning the ADCX - Adirondack Scenic Railroad.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1