Transmission wont upshift into second

Hello. Just had the transmission rebuilt. 90 Ford Mustang 4 Cyl engine. Automatic transmission. Had a complete rebuild job done on the transmission. Got it back, now wont go into second gear or higher. Took it back and they reopened it up and checked and said all was fine. Now once again, wont go into second. Goes to about 25-30 mph and rpms are jumping up around three. So I called again and now they said it could be the engine.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Thank you.

Reply to
BLUROKS

Its the tranny, an engine won't do that

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Thomas Moats

if the transmission is electronical controld it might be the vehicle speed sensor.. or the wires going to it that are shorted or unplugged... pretty easy fix if that is it??? the shop should be able to check that is about 5 minutes....

Reply to
jim

It's a 90, no electronics except for torque converter lock up and 4th.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

The trans was rebuilt and tor. converter also was new. Any other ideas? Called them once again today, and they still insist it is a motor problem and not the transmission. One other thing, yesterday morning, car ran fine at startup. Did shift and all. Then all of a sudden, back to only first gear automatic again. Rpms raced up to 3 and still would not shift so I could go faster. Was a real pain. Dont want to continue to drive it as fear of blowing the motor or something. Still dont know what to do. Since we did take it back twice to the mechanic and says they rechecked everything again and all was fine. Dont know!

Reply to
BLUROKS

If i remember right every ford i dealt with goes to 2nd when you shift it to second by hand....

have you tried to drive it like that when conditions are so bad that it wont shift on its own... this is to get you by thats all...

have you personally checked the basics.. fluid level etc.. maybe the guy forgot to fill the damn thing

Reply to
Mercury

He easily could have damaged the governor seals, the vacuum modulator and or internal valve could be bad. There could be something in the valve body. The TV hold back valve could be stuck, there are a number of possibilities. The engine has nothing to do with it. The only thing it provides in the way of making the transmission shift is vacuum. It is a transmission control problem, not engine. It's clear the mechanic does not want to back up his work. That is why I would take it somewhere else to get it diagnosed and fixed. In doing so you will now have receipts and such then take him to court. Make reports to the better business people, make noise so that he is uncomfortable. You paid for a service and did not get what you paid for.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Not all fords with Automatic transmissions will let you force into second gear. Mine has Park, neutral, reverse, Overdrive, overdrive lockout, and low.

But on his car I don't know what it has. You're right though, some do have a forcable 1st and 2nd.

Nic

Reply to
Robotnik

Had this happen on a 88 EXP, the transmission shop left the TV rod loose and it fell out of the hole. The car would shift at very high RPM.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Take it back. If they won't take it back, take it to another shop. Ask them to pay the bill. If they don't, sue them. This is a transmission problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I meant take it to another shop and pay the bill. Ask the first shop to reimburse them for the bill. If they won't do it, sue the first shop.

Also, make a written record (log) of the conversations you had with the first shop about this, including dates and times and names. If you don't have the names, go back with the log and talk to them again. For everyone you talked to in the past, make sure you get the names. This really will help in court.

Reply to
Jeff

I had something of the same with Escort a couple months ago. 1-2 but no

2-3 or OD.

My Tranny is an electronically controlled jobby and it's problem ended up being a bad ground.

Had it in the tranny shop and they couldn't fix. Took back home, looked up car

(had subscription) symptoms brought me to bad grounds but mosty for Tranny Electronic controller, inspected car, found ground from body to tranny broken, replaced & no more problems yet.

Maybe your fix is 2ft of wire.

Reply to
fctech

It is probably something like that. But it is up to the shop that fixed the transmission to make the fix.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Thomas Moats

is it possible to change the speed that must be reached before it goes into overdrive--40 mph.

Reply to
Edward Snyder

You could put your foot down more... or put it in OD lockout...

But a car that new... I would imagine you can change all sorts of stuff, since it's computer controlled.

Nic

Reply to
Robotnik

you probaby missundrstood me last time....is it possible to change the speed you have to reach (40) and make it 30 and then OD would kick in. thanks

Reply to
Edward Snyder

Perhaps they put in incorrect tranny oil.

Hank PA

Reply to
Hank