Transponder Key?

I got this 99 windstar a few days ago, and today went to get a spare key cut, I took it to walmart and he says that its a transponder key, and only
the dealers can cut me one, is there a way around this? How much will this key cost to be cut? Now im scared to death of losing my only key.
Thanks
Some locksmiths can cut and program it for you oryou will have togo to the dealer
If you have 2 keys you can do program a 3th additional key yourself

I've only got 1 key, how much are we looking at, its going to be expensive isnt it *cringe*
IIRC the key is about $30 and programming varies from around 0.5 to 1.0 hr labor

Here you go,
Program A New PATS Key
http://www.obd-codes.com/howto/patskey.php
The Gaylord 2006 wrote:

I really like the "See your dealer if to confirm this." statement. I've never before seen this method of programming keys..... at the dealer we use a scan tool (I mean 45 minutes to program one key? And we aren't sure it will work???} - how in Gods name can we say if this guys method will work when we never use it?
It takes about twenty minutes to make security programming changes... our shop charges a half hour (scan tools are spendy - somebody has to pay for them... it might as well be the people that "use" them). The twenty minutes is if the tech doesn't say "Oops!" and have to start from scratch.... in our shop that's tough for the tech - and only a minor delay (no extra charge) to the customer. A shop that charges one hour has got some pretty big cajones....
FWIW, if the locksmith (or who-ever) screws up, he'll say "Well, after you pay me for what I've done, you can tow it to the dealer"... we don't have that luxury..

The Gaylord 2006 wrote:

system. It will not start without a key containing the correct transponder programmed to the car.
Transponder keys are pricy (~$35 or more) and the dealer has to "program" the new key (or possibly a locksmith, some are able)to the vehicle using specialized equipment if no or only one good key is available. The process takes about an hour so you will pay an hour labor at the dealer. (anyone can "cut" a new key, it just won't start the vehicle). The blanks are available from suppliers other than the dealer so shop around.
Now, if you had 2 good keys and wanted to program a third, you can do it yourself in in less than a minute. The procedure is in the owners manual. The rule is to keep 3 programmed keys on hand so that if 1 is lost it can be replaced rather inexpensively and easily. The "lost" key can also be deleted from the vehicle to prevent someone else from using it.
This sounds like a real PITA and I understand your frustration, but the reasoning behind this design is really quite simple. It's a theft deterrent. A car thief can obtain the key cutting code for your car fairly easily. This procedure prevents him from easily programming the key to start your car and drive away. Anyone with 2 keys in hand is likely the owner. If it was easy for you, it would be cake for a car thief.
Obviously at this point hind sight is 20-20, but you should never buy a PATS equipped vehicle without at least 2 working keys. If there is only one, the second (and even third) should be negotiated into the purchase price. If you bought this vehicle from a used car dealer, it couldn't hurt to approach them with this and ask them to help you cover the cost of the second key since they didn't bring it to your attention. They might do it to make you happy, although they may tell you to get lost. You won't know if you don't ask.
The Gaylord 2006 wrote:

Where'd you get the Windstar? When I bought my last Taurus it only came with one key. I went back to the dealer where I got the car and managed to ask the owner of the dealership (recognized him from their cheesy TV ads) if only one key was the normal situation. He immediately directed a subordinate to fix me up with another key and fob. Didn't cost me a penny.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com