transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

Page 1 of 4
A Ford Explorer 2001 that takes a transponder key.
Let's say you have no keys, what would it take to get a new key made? Is this only possible at the Ford dealers? How much roughly will it cost?
Is there any workaround? Is it possible to break the steering lock and enable the ignition?
I'm in Kansas City Kansas.
--

(||) Nehmo (||)

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

It is sometimes possible to negotiate this situation with the vehicle's computer, in which case the cost is not hugely unreasonable. Some locksmiths can handle this; any dealer should be able to.
If not, it becomes necessary to replace the vehicle's computer, in which case costs probably start around $500 and go up from there. In that case, you're talking to the dealer, or possibly to an auto mechanic if you're willing to accept a second-source module.

No.
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:36:58 GMT, you wrote:

in my area $150 plus trip charge..
the ignition lock has LITTLE to do with the system too.. no transponder-no start..
plus proof its your vehicle..
IF you regularly have it serviced at a Ford dealership- call.. this will mean an extra tow charge to get it to the dealership..
if you have only one key, it requires the programming tool to add the SECOND.
you cannot 'have a transponder key cut', put it in and turn on and have the vehicle work..
If you are interested, the programming tool that the dealer uses is about $7,000 plus now, too.
--Shiva--
You simply need to have two new keys cut for the vehicle and reprogrammed. Just call your dealer for a price..Replacing the computer will only place you back to square one- you will still need the keys cut and programmed. Also, it is the KEY that enables the ignition; it will still not start just because you break the lock and are able to turn the switch.

the transponder started in the Explorer in mid-year 2001

A locksmith that does trasnsponder keys can help you with this. prices vary depending on your goegraphical location. price for making key + programing key + transponder key. we would charge in our area $150.00 note; while you are at it, have two made and programed. that way you can add a third key yourself without having to get it programmed.

No...
No...
sorry for the cross-posted reply. just trying to locate you.
g'luck -- "Key"
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:15:44 GMT, you wrote:

its my understanding that starting with 2000 you CANNOT add a third key without the programming tool..might vary with model, but they 'pulled this option..
--Shiva--
wrote in message

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:13:33 -0800, you wrote:

my dealer is telling me different.. owners manual is not showing on board adding of the third key any more PRE 2000 or so, yes... 'some' models, you can.. but some cannot..
--Shiva--
This is indeed the truth.... 02 and later pretty much (AFAIK) conform to the user being able to program a third key at home providing they have both programmed keys. Before 02, there were some variations as PATs strategy was being implemented/studied/improved.... this included no user programmable features in some years/models.
One should always be wary of assuming things....
wrote in message

. . . as it pertains to the topic at hand.... I dug this link out. . . http://www.f150driver.com/forums/showpost.php?p 82568&postcount
As to the OPs concerns, I agree with the higher minds hear........ Be it from a locksmith or the dealer, getting another key is the least costly alternative. Not the only alternative. Just the most economical and most logical.
~:~ MarshMonster ~:~
Marsh Monster wrote:

about your link. wtf is this guy talking about, volts of resistance? get a pack of resistors close to your voltage.....ok.....right... shouldn't it say measure your keys resistance, buy resistors to match...Is he just making this up? he also said the wires are covered in tubing that say 'SRS caution' on them. OMG. did you read it marsh?
. . ======ShoeSaleman wrote:

========Shoe,
I read it. Don't know how true it is....but I read it.
If you click on the link at the top right of that post...... it'll give the thread it was posted in.
I know it's doable on the the GM vats systems that use the resister in the key....but....I've yet to come across a sure fire method on Fords pats systems.
The dude that made the post may not have used his terminology according to practicle application, but I understood the proceedure as he outlined it. Not so sure I'd be brave enough to go chopping on wires marked for the SRS though. lmao..brave dude.
any whooo...
like they say on TV......don't go try'n this at home. :)
~:~ marshmonster ~:~
VATS is way different than PATS (as the Ford system is known as).
VATS was used on GM type vehicles and involved a resistor. The early models used values 0 to 15. The later models dropped 0 and used 1 to 15. It is essentially a resistor embedded within the key. You have 1 out of 15 (or 16) of getting the resistor value correct. Think of it as a letter of the alphabet (as an example). Just guessing the correct letter is fairly easy.
PATS (and all other Transponder technology) uses a transponder, which is a radio wave frequency. The computer sends a signal to the head of the key and it responds with a unique value. If the value programmed within the computer memory is found, the vehicle will start. There are BILLIONS of transponder codes within this technology. There is no fooling the system with a resistor. Think of it as a fingerprint. Guessing what fingerprint it requires is a whole lot more complicated.
Sunshine Locksmith Team http://www.SunshineLocksmith.com http://www.SunshineTeam.net
Marsh Monster wrote:

. . TOP POST ============Thank you, but I am very much aware of the differences in the two systems.......and the operational parameters of the two.
but.....
nice posting style.
~:~ MarshMonster ~:~ ================SunshineTeam.net wrote:

then why did you say "as it pertains to the topic at hand" ?
--
"Key"

. . ============'Key wrote:

==================I'm afraid I don't fully understand your question in the format that it's posted.
Feel free then....... to rearrange the atoms and repost........
or.....
Feel free then.... to omit a word.....
then....... maybe it will be clear to me and then...
i can give you an answer, which I am eagerly wanting to do.
untill then.......
i'll check on the other threads in the post.
~:~ MarshMonster ~well then....that ortah git'r done then~
we program all car key keys 30.00 and programing 40.00 u have to have a tool to do most cars but not the gm,s the tools well cost you 5,000.00 up to do all the car we got an ngs tool for fordthat was 4,000.00 and dart 1,000.00and a t-code tool that takes the place of the other 2 that i would like to see

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:07:27 -0500, you wrote:

IIRR, when they first came out with it.. TI who at that time made the chip was talking about 42? quadrillion codes without duplication.
--Shiva--
--Shiva-- wrote:

... that should be enough for Toyota's production for a year or two... once the other mfgs are gone...
Rob
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:16:43 -0500, you wrote:

well, Toyota, Chrysler, Ford, honda, and so forth.. gives many HUNDREDS of unique chips for everyone in the WORLD..
--Shiva--