transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

Page 2 of 4
<> wrote:

Sounds like a 56-bit binary key (number), not a frequency operated thing. Just a hunch.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:54:10 -0600, you wrote:

whats a transponder... sonar?
electrical oil bouncces a signal into the key head, the chip charges its battery and answers back what it is.. same thing as what Walmart is trying to get done.. RFID.
--Shiva--

Same thing that has been used for 'tagging' wild animals for years.
--
Thank you,

article does not apply to the subject. vats key is not to be compared to a transponder key.
my2
--
"Key"

'Key wrote:

I didnt read the article. But VATS vs. PATS is irrelevant. Whats relevant if they built in a way to reprogram the system with or without a tool. GM PATS does not require a tool. I'm sure the dealership will be happy to claim otherwise. If you have a tool you can do it faster, but without a tool, you can still do it yourself.
--
Thank you,

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:03:29 -0500, you wrote:

2 ENTIRELY different systems.. IF ALL the keys are lost for a vat. AND you cannot get the original key codes, you need a vastly CHEAPER interrogator tool to find which value vat key you need.. AND if the lock is NOT original with the vehicle, you just bought a new lock as well.. close to $200 installed in my area.. PATS require NO tools, but, time.. 30 minutes or 10, depending on what year it is.
--Shiva--

it is relevant. the subject is about Pats transponder key in a Ford. GM is NOT Pats... GM is Vats... two different animals :-)
is it more clear to ya now ?
--
"Key"

GM uses PATS today. Did you mean to say otherwise? Its not like they use standard terminology either. PATS is just 'passive anti theft system.' I think GM calls it Passkey.
--
Thank you,

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 20:57:36 -0500, you wrote:

actually not.. GM uses PK3 transponders and PK3+ now.. several models.. key blanks can run to $50 each. 6 years BACK they used PATS..but are now dropping it in a lot of models.. a 2000 Cad used a PK3 key- then it depended on the vehicle --Shiva--

Yea Im confused. I dont know all of terminology. I thought PATs was a general term for a passive anti theft system and passkey was GMs term. I always called it PK3 or passkey.
--
Thank you,

we are on the same page. believe the terminology being used is causing misunderstandings. GM uses pk3 system and Magamos fixed code system. vats system as late as 2004. if an anti theft system is used at all ?
--
"Key"

I don't know where you are looking, here is a cut and paste from 2001 Explorer Owner guide, 1rst printing page 118:
Programming spare keys
A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only
SecuriLocky keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you
will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already
operate your vehicle's engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily
accessible for timely implementation of each step in the procedure.
If two previously programmed coded keys are not available (one or both
of your original keys were lost or stolen), you must bring your vehicle to
your dealership to have the spare coded key(s) programmed.
Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.
1. Insert the first previously
programmed coded key into the
ignition and turn the ignition from 3
(OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition
in 4 (ON) for at least one second).
2. Turn ignition to 3 (OFF) then 2
(LOCK) and remove the first coded
key from the ignition.
3. Within ten seconds of removing
the first coded key, insert the
second previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the
ignition from 3 (OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition in 4 (ON) for at least
one second but no more than ten seconds).
4. Turn the ignition to 3 (OFF) then 2 (LOCK) and remove the second
coded key from the ignition.
3
2
1
5
4
Controls and features
119
5. Within 20 seconds of removing the second coded key, insert the new
unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the
ignition from 3 (OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition in 4 (ON) for at least
one second). This step will program your new key to a coded key.
6. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this
procedure from step 1.
If successful, the new coded key(s) will start the vehicle's engine and the
theft indicator will illuminate for three seconds and then go out.
If not successful, the new coded key(s) will not start the vehicle's engine
and the theft indicator will flash on and off. If failure repeats, bring your
vehicle to your dealership to have the new spare key(s) programmed.
Controls and features
120
wrote in message

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:58:53 -0800, you wrote:

that is ALSO 5 years old now-and actually closer to 6.. they changed it on the newer models.
--Shiva--
wrote in message

My original response was: (You simply need to have two new keys cut for the vehicle and reprogrammed). That is all there is to it.
wrote in message
--
"Key"

wrote in message

as far as I know it has not changed but will check it out. the Ilco Auto Truck key blank reference 2006 still shows OBP on most models up through 2006. see below. http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key_systems/pdf/2006_Auto_Truck_Key _Blank_Reference_%5B2852-E-1105%5D.pdf
has a length of 98 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters: http://tinyurl.com/lo8tu
--
"Key"

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

When you have no keys the cheapest route will be to go to the dealer. THey can make a new key based on the VIN or other numbers found on your car if you still have original steering column. Im not sure dealers are required to have the same prices for this stuff so maybe call a few to see who is cheapest.

No, thats the point of the system.

Isin't that where they make the Ford Explorer? They make some Ford there. You can probably get a blank key from someone at the plant, get a lock smith to cut it, and get the dealership to program it. You can probably program it without the tool, but the procedure may be secret or hidden in the owners manual. I know GM can be done without the tool, but it takes 1/2 hour.
Note: European anti-theft rules are different and euro vehicles anti-theft behaves differently.
--
Thank you,

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:46:23 -0500, you wrote:

first out transponder Fords required 45 minutes..assuming NO keys. First out with the NON on board programming, require the hand held plug in device takes about 12 minutes..10 of that being a timer lockout built into the system. but if you do not have the required tool, you cannot program ANY keys into the vehicle..
--Shiva--

auto locksmiths can program too. its NOT a dealer only thing...

different tool.. doesn't apply to transponder technology.
--
"Key"

I'm not following what your saying. GM can be done without any tool. got nothing to do with 'different' tool. Transponders are transponders. GM/Ford/Chrysler will all be using the same transponders. Its the software in their modules that will determine if you need a tool or not. I can't say that Ford does not need a tool because I don tknow there system. But having written software for these systems I can safely say that there is no reason for requiring a tool.
--
Thank you,