transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

Page 4 of 4

I have first hand knowledge about GM and Chrysler using it. Don't have first hand about Ford, but I would strongly bet they do too. Its more commonly known today as RFID.
The real question is who does not?
--
Thank you,

Well, you already have 100 replies, but...
I just had a key cut from the computer at a hardware store for $55. Works fine. The machine they use is pretty small; I suppose they could come out to you for a time charge.

sounds like ya may have gotten a clone key made. just cutting any transponder key would not work. it would have to be programmed.
--
"Key"

Suanne Lippman wrote:

With this vehicle, there's more to it than just cutting the metal of the key. There are some vendors on eBay http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=transponder+ranger that sell blank transponder keys, but in addition to the cutting, the chip still has to be dealt with.
Are you sure it was a transponder key you duplicated? (And you realize I'm starting with zero copies, don't you?) Everybody I've consulted with locally believes only a Ford dealer has the equipment.
But if this hardware store can somehow do the job, I'd like to talk with them - even if they're not local. What's the name or number of the hardware store you used, please?
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

On 1 Mar 2006 20:37:22 -0800, you wrote:

EARLY Ford transponder keys had 2 things CLEARLY VISIBLE..
1 is the hole that you use to hang on a key chain..
the hole is NOT IN THE CENTER.. it was off to one side.. the key head was about 1/4" THICK, and if you looked on the back plastic edge opposite of the ring hole, you would see the faint outline of a small rectangular square there.. the cover for the transponder..
NEW model transponder blanks have the hole back in the center, and NO visible means of seeing where the actual chip is..you got to know then by the actual model..
and 'some locksmiths' DO have the equipment..
funny thing in MY area the Chrysler dealerships will NOT mess with the transponder equipped cars as far as replacing lost keys-they ship them out to a certain locksmith about 15 miles from me..
--Shiva--
Yep I am goin to TOP POST THIS. Nehmo, I am a 2000 Ford Ranger Owner, suffice it to say you have to have 2 keys if you want to program a key for yourself. If you dont, well see you at the dealership. I am also located in Eastern Kansas, but it works the same no matter where you are in the CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES. I am not exactly sure what the newest cars have on them now, but that DOESNT MATTER. We are talking about a '01' Ford Explorer, not a GM vehicle. This damn post has gotten out of control here. If you have 2 programmed keys for the vehicle in question then it will take about 10min to program a new key (UP TO 8 KEYS CAN BE PROGRAMMED) I have done this on my truck so I can have 4 keys, its simple and if you can READ the owners manual, then this post can DIE. Ok PK

if your going to put it that way and also cross-post ?
---snip--- <ploink>