Troublecode 634 E4OD MLP sensor

This code recently showed itself. Apparantly the MLP sensor tells the computer gearshift position or something to that effect. Autozone doesn't stock this sensor so it looks like a dealer only part.

Whats the most likely cause of this code ( circuit or sensor )? What symptoms are supposed to accompany it? How to replace the sensor ( assuming thats the problem)?

1993 Ford F150 - 4.9 six - 3.08 rear.
Reply to
gil

Sharon K. Cooke

Yeah, I kind of figured that when I asked the Autozone counter guy for the MLP sensor to which he replied "Who"?

The neutral safety switch is mentioned on Autozones web site $48.99 and $34.99 ( 2 types ). Trouble is , this is a prepaid special order part. Which one do I order? Ford dealer wants $104.99 for the MLP sensor.

Reply to
gil

Autozone has it listed as a nuetral safety switch which is only one of several functions of the sensor. Should be available for a bout $35US. Follow instructions in package to adjust. This is a common replacement part on these units. The new ones are greatly improved over your original and should be no future problems.

Reply to
lugnut

I checked Autozones web site . It lists 2 types: For my engine and transmission and model year.

One for $48.99 - Wells O.E.M. #F7TZ-7A247-AA

The other $36.99 - Wells O.E.M. #E9TZ-7A247-A, F5TZ-7A247-A

The first can only be purchased online. Not available in stores. The other can be special ordered from the autozone store. Which one is the right one?

Also mentioned was a special tool to install and adjust it ( a once only use tool ).

Reply to
gil

I checked Autozones web site . It lists 2 types: For my engine and transmission and model year.

One for $48.99 - Wells O.E.M. #F7TZ-7A247-AA

The other $36.99 - Wells O.E.M. #E9TZ-7A247-A, F5TZ-7A247-A

The first can only be purchased online. Not available in stores. The other can be special ordered from the autozone store. Which one is the right one?

Also mentioned was a special tool to install and adjust it ( a once only use tool ).

Reply to
gil

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I have had this problem wih 2 e4ods do your self a favor and spend the extra $ and buy the Ford part that way it is a direct replacement not a might fit made by some one else.

Reply to
Mbflash

Any way you go at it, you will have to modify the connector as described above. Moisture is the primary cause of faiure and the connector is the key to resolving the problem. I personally do not care for the Wells brand but, it has the Ford p/n and logo on it which means it has passed the OEM requirements according to Ford.

Reply to
lugnut

What are the symptoms of this bad connector? I'm getting the troublecode but otherwise the tranny appears to be functioning normal.

Reply to
gil