Truck transmission question

I have been looking at some mid to late 80's F150's and F250's. The ones that had manual transmissions were all 4 speeds where first gear is a "granny gear". Is this normal? I would think that most of the transmission
would be geared more like a car and not have the granny gear.
Thanks Ted
This is normal for that generation... NP435s and BW (IIRC) T18s were the norm for Fords... The very low ratio for first gear gave great lifting power when heavily loaded... It was common for owners to severely overload their trucks.... 4th was always "direct" (one to one ratio).
Just curious... is there some particular reason you feel you need old technology as a stone around your neck? No matter how well kept, I can't see using one of these as a truck I would need to depend on simply from an age standpoint...

Yep.... I had an 85 F150 4X4 with the New Process 435 many years ago.... Purchased used in 87, I finally parted company with the old girl about 7 years ago. Damned good truck, she was...

I drive my ranger with two gears. I start off in 2nd & then skip to 4th. 5th (known as overdrive) is only used on level roads with a speed limit of 50 MPH or higher. I may use 3rd as an "intermediate" when in traffic & 1st when starting up a hill or crawling along in the AM or PM rush. The results appear on the gas gauge & clutch wear is minimal too.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:15:36 -0500, "Ted"

You must have lived in a cave for 30 years.
4 speed compound low transmission have been standard on all above ton models since at least WW II.
Don't get out much?
DeserTBoB wrote:

Your insults are not needed or welcome here.
The OP was juts asking a good question.
Jeff
Welcome to UseNet... suck it up, Princess....

Jim Warman wrote:

Sorry, sir, but there is no excuse for rudeness, usenet or not.
And, for your information, I have been using usenet for over a decade.
Jeff
Impressive... so have I...
And this means what in the grand scheme of things?

Goodie for you. Did I see you on ARPINET, too? Or FidoNet?

I was a member of a BBS that had an internet "gateway" that I used to post usenet messages via an Unix shell. Those were the daze before windoze took over.
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 01:23:36 GMT, "Jim Warman"
LMAO!

Well...not everyone is mechanically inclined...nor able to figure out a sliding gear transmission.

Hardly. You just made yourself look like a 'tard on Usenet, that's all. Welcome to the club.
The compound low in light trucks is a very useful thing to have, IF you use the truck for what it was principally designed for...work. If you use it as a car, or as a big hatchback, that's just plain silliness in this day and age. If you use it as you stated, a half-tonner with a 3-on-the-tree will suffice nicely, although they're hard to find nowadays. Get a 6 while you're at it...you won't need any more. Getting a half ton with a 3 speed (if you can find one) will be cheaper by hundreds at least, and will haul big box stuff home just fine, as well as bales of steer manure. Just don't expect it to haul anything really big, nor expect it to tow much. If you're going in that direction, you might also consider a "midsize" Dakota from Chrysler with the "3/4 of a 318" V6. I cannot in good conscience recommend either the S-10/15 twins from GM, or the Ford Ranger. Both are turds, for various reasons.

I did not say that I have always driven an automatic trans. I have had numerous vehicles and driven even more with manuals.
As far as being mechanically inclined, what does that have to do with driving a vehicle, what ever transmission it has? I am more than just being mechanically inclined. I was a mechanic when mechanics knew how to diagnose without a computer telling them what to do for every little thing, when we rebuilt subassemblies instead of just being parts changers. I just recently deciced not to recertify in my ASE certs as I don't need them anymore for new profession. I still have all my tools, including my timing light and dwell tach. Yes, I do know what I am doing undrer the hood of a car.

How do you figure that? By not bowing down to your smart ass replys?

This is true as if I remember correctly they were last mass produced in the 60's or maybe early 70's. but I am sure that you will find a way to correct me on that.
Get a 6 while you're at it...you won't need

Just because you are a big fan of bullshit, don't think that everyone is. and we all know that you need a very heavy duty truck to haul all of yours around.
Just don't expect it to

No thanks, Unless it is a straight 6, I will take a V8. I want a real truck engine.
I cannot in good conscience

Damn, something that we agree on, I would not touch a ranger or a S-10. They are good for pizza and auto parts delivery. Only.