Trunk opens but not fully

The trunk lid on my 99 Taurus does not pop all the way up like it used to. Now it opens about 1" from the trunk. The lid will stay fully open if it's lifted.
I've checked the hinge assembly for binding or any sign of damaged or broken parts but every thing looks normal. Lubricating the pivot points did not help.
What should I be looking at inside the trunk to fix the problem?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

You can try increasing the torsion bar pressure. Between the hinges are two bars that are hooked into one of 3 slots. Have somebody hold the hinge fully open, and try moving one or both bars up a notch.
Re: Trunk opens but not fully Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Nov 5, 2004, 4:13pm (EST-1) From: andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net (AndrewRossmann) [This followup was posted to alt.autos.ford and a copy was sent to the cited author.]
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says... The trunk lid on my 99 Taurus does not pop all the way up like it used to. Now it opens about 1" from the trunk. The lid will stay fully open if it's lifted. I've checked the hinge assembly for binding or any sign of damaged or broken parts but every thing looks normal. Lubricating the pivot points did not help. What should I be looking at inside the trunk to fix the problem? You can try increasing the torsion bar pressure. Between the hinges are two bars that are hooked into one of 3 slots. Have somebody hold the hinge fully open, and try moving one or both bars up a notch.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
There are only 2 slots on mine and the T-bars are set in the topmost.
Eric

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Is there anything mounted to the lid? You can also check to see if water is trapped anywhere in the lid, which can weight it down. Otherwise, aother than checking that the torsion bars are freely moving and not bent or damaged, all that might be left is to replace them.
-- If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying! All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!! http://home.att.net/~andyross