Trunk Spring Tension

Does anybody know offhand which way makes the trunk open more forcefully? There are three slotted adjustors in the trunk under a hell of a lot of tension. If I
move the arm into one of the slots closer to the trunk floor, will it get stronger or weaker?
Many times when I hit the trunk opener from inside the car (or using the remote) the trunk just clicks but doesn't actually open. The lid does release but you might have to bump it with your hand to get it to actually open.
Since I have a talent for creating much work where little existed before, I thought it might be nice to know in advance what's going to happen if I move one of the adjusters.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.nospam says...

Just try one way and see what happens. Also, consider using some silicone spray or similar on the seals. They could be 'sticky' and holding the lid down.
The highest slot away from the trunk floor should make the trunk open wider. If you have a Taurus as I do you'll find that nothing works to make the trunk pop up like it used to. My trunk lid used to open all the way up now it only opens about an inch or two.
Take this for what it's worth, a Ford service tech told me that over time the torsion bars lose tension and the only "fix" is to get a new set of trunk lid torsion bars. Not an inexpensive deal.
Eric
Mortimer Schnerd, RN opined in

I like the last para.. you are a good guy!
You simply move the bar in the direction opposite that which it WANTS to be. Look at which side of current slot it occupies.
But I can think of good reasons to just have the latch release without raising the lid... like if it's raining.