Trunk won't stay up, '99 Taurus

The trunk lid won't stay in the up position. There are no trunk support rods, only some kind of crossed torqued rods that run side to side that are supposed to open the lid and keep it up. Can't find any visual problem with crossed rods. Any clues out there?

Eric

Reply to
audioetc

The rods probably are gas charged and need to be replaced.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

No, the rods are about 3/16-1/4" solid steel and hook into holders on either side of the inside roof of the trunk.

Eric

Reply to
audioetc

Torsion springs. Adjustable on some by moving to a different notch.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Both my 1989 and 2000 Taurus sedans had the notches on either side of the trunk. I never had to adjust them but that's where it's done.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Tried moving the rods to the lower notches, no joy. I have a feeling the rods were bent upwards somehow and they have to be removed and straightened to make them work.

Eric

Reply to
audioetc

Tried moving the rods to the lower notches, no joy. I have a feeling the rods were bent upwards somehow and they have to be removed and straightened to make them work.

Eric

My suggestion would be to check out one that works, either a friend's similar car and set up or one at a junkyard, and compare yours to theirs. Or maybe a Ford or other service manual if you have access to that, possibly at the local library.

Good luck, SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

I believe you need to move the torsion rods UP to increase the tension...

Here's the procedure from the manual;

  1. Open the luggage compartment door and note the pop-up distance. The luggage compartment door should pop up 15-30 cm (6-11 inches) . 2. If the luggage compartment door does not pop up 15-30 cm (6-11 inches) , the luggage compartment door/tailgate hinge torsion bar tension should be increased. 3. If the luggage compartment door pops open with more force than is desired, the luggage compartment door/tailgate hinge torsion bar tension can be decreased. 4. Support the luggage compartment door in the full open position before adjusting the luggage compartment door/tailgate hinge torsion bar. WARNING: USE CARE WHEN ADJUSTING THE UPPER LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR/TAILGATE HINGE TORSION BAR OR LOWER LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR/TAILGATE HINGE TORSION BAR AS IT IS UNDER TENSION AND COULD SPRING OUT OF CONTROL IF NOT HANDLED PROPERLY. 5. To adjust a luggage compartment door/tailgate hinge torsion bar, move the luggage compartment door/tailgate hinge torsion bar end to another position (notch) to increase or decrease the tension. 6. Adjust one luggage compartment door/tailgate hinge torsion bar and check the adjustment before adjusting the other luggage compartment door/tailgate hinge torsion bar. 7. If proper adjustment can still not be obtained replace torsion bars and repeat adjustment procedure.

Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer