turn signals and emergency flasher not working well

My car is a 1996 Ford Taurus. When I turn on the trun signal lights, sometimes it flashes for one or two seconds; sometimes it doesn't work at all. The same is with the emergency flasher.
What could be the problem?
Thanks a lot!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Someplace, probably under the dash, there is a little electronic device, called a flasher, that normally turns the lights on and off. It is like a little metallic cylinder about the size of a soda bottle cap (maybe 1 in. in diameter and 1 inch tall) with a connector on it (sometimes they're plastic too). If you look in you owner's manual, you might find a picture of it with the location. I think the one for the Taurus has two terminals on it.
Jeff

Thanks a lot! I will try to look for it.
Jeff wrote:

It's a 1996, not a 1966.
13350 is the diagram number, it's a small rectangular electronic module called the "Indicator Flasher".
There is an involved drill-down test to isolate the problem, it will probably be the multifunction switch.
Rob
| |It's a 1996, not a 1966. | |
Be gentle now. I'm pretty sure my 1985 T-Bird had one of those mechanical relays.
They used them well past 1966. Wasn't 1966 the first year for mandatory 4 way flashers ?
Other items that can cause weird problems in the turn signal circuit are wiring shorts (perhaps due to a fender bender that crimped wires to ground and the switch in the steering column.