Two good reasons to go MacIntosh

Page 2 of 3
Which two?
Not obvious to what you replied.
DAS

"Frank Ross" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...
well now what is the discusion thread? something to do with microsoft and apples not exactly apples and oranges but you may be able to catch the drift as they say
Frank Ross wrote:

Speaking of that, did you know that there were computers in the Graden of Eden? Yep - Eve had an Apple in one hand and a Wang in the other. (That joke won't mean anything to the younger crowd, but the older people here will get it.)

I'll say! My Grampa says Wang! and peckerwood. He's 80

David wrote:

Yeah - but does he know what a Wang computer is?
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

...are ya ready boots?
Daniel J. Stern wrote:

start walkin'!
Yeah - about the same era.

I thought you said Apple makes "excellent software". Quicktime is not excellent software. I rank it just one notch above Real Networks junk. And I thought the internet standard for video would be MPEG.

The internet standard for video IS mpeg. Not would be.
Just curious: why do you rate Real player (and QT) "junk"?
And what is much better?
DAS
"Bill 2" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message
news:9VpPe.80063$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

Because they latch into the system and try to seize control, and have shitty interfaces.

Media player 6.
Bill 2 wrote:

I agree - RP is just about as bad as QT in that regard.

Most of the media content I've seen is either Real or WMA. I don't have Quicktime on my PC and it's been years since I've hit a site that requires it. I think you're mistaken about it being "*the* Internet standard"

picture viewing and I think it's awful for that use. Nero is far superior.

Nero has a great editor with it too. I've been digitizing many of my old 1960's and 1970's LP records and "45's". The click/pop and noise filters Nero has does a very good job at "restoring" the quality of the music. It's not 100% digital quality, but good enough. Some come close. It sure beats 99 cents a pop to buy all that music again!

While this is O/T, speaking of digitizing LP's James, you reminded me of a great piece of hardware/software I bought from ADS Tech, called DVD Express which enables conversion of your old VHS videos to DVD format. It's amazing! I've converted all the kids' graduation videos and other family videos to DVD. If you don't already have it or something similar, you may want to check it out at:
http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV_701/intro/usb701intro.asp?pid=USBAV701

Great thanks StingRay! I have already transferred most of the VHS home movies I had to DVD's a while back using a self-contained JVC dubbing unit to make the DVD "masters". I then using NERO to burn DVD copies of those masters to give to each of the kids...but those wee just straight copies, nothing special.
I then did some experimenting with doing compilations for the fun of it. It sure did suck up a fair amount of the 120GB disk drive I had upgraded to though, that's for sure! I had about 106GB "free" after I had "ghosted" a image of my old 20GB drive to it and did the swap. After playing a few days with DVD compilations, I was down to about 50GB free. <whew!>
Nomen Nescio wrote:

Virus Database (VPS): 0534-2, 24/08/2005

Of COURSE....Mac's OS is VIRUS proof! Right?
Or MAYBE there's ANOTHER reason for that...or TWO
now if you were a hacker would you hack the system where few will get affected or the one where many will be affected. only reason Mac/UNIX are considered safer is because so few (comparatively) people use them.
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply