Type "F" transmissions?

1994 Ford Thunderbird V-8 car with OD transmission.

Is this a type F or something else?

Where can I read about this?

thanks

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

No, there was never a "type F" transmission. There is a transmission fluid spec used by ford automatics that was called "type f" but it hasn't been used since the 70's in transmissions. It was used, maybe still is occasionally in power steering systems.

The trans in your T-Bird is probably an AOD-E. That's a sheer guess, but I know that's what was in the Crown Vics of that era. Your transmission would have had DextronIII/Mercon in it I think. I'm pretty sure the Mercon V spec didn't come out until the late 90's.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

On the right-hand side, there is information about your T-bird, including the transmission.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The last Ford trans to use the type "F" spec was 1976. All since have used whatever the current Mercon/Dexron spec may be until they went to the Mercon V spec on some models begining in the mid '90's. Without good reason, I would not use the Mercon V in a unit that did not originally have it or has been rebuilt for it. The original for your '94 'Bird would have been Mercon/Dexron III. If you change the fluid in your "Bird, you should use an additive like Shudderfix with the Mercon/Dexron fluid to help or prevent converter shudder during lockup. You won't need any additive if you spring for the Mercon V fluid - you may need a defibrilator! You'll have to do your own google search for reading material. My luck for today is used up.

Regards

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:37:39 -0500, lugnut sayd the following:

Thanks guys :D

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

Take a look at