U-Haul bans Ford Explorer

I think that you bashed someone for giving their opinion, then you gave your opinion. All the rest is stupid. Sorry, but that's *my* opinion. What makes you think anyone in the US has to "justify" their purchase, especially to you? As for safety, I'd much rather buy something that makes me & mine safe, than buy something that makes other safe while sacrificing the safety of me & mine. Let the others make that decision for themselves. If they choose to sacrifice their own safety, that's their choice.

Oh, and thanks for using less gas. More for me.

Reply to
Bill Funk

Really?? Kiddies worry about *cool*. I passed that phase about 40 years ago. Do you stop all SUV drivers to ask their reason for buying it? Or is it just an assumption, on your part?

As far as safety, you don't think they use "safety" to justify

And you know this, how? Must keep you pretty busy tracking all those SUV's to see where they go and what they do.

Bottom line, if it is safe in a collision, its not safe for the

I understand that *they* are addressing the bumper height issue with future SUV's. I wouldn't consider myself "safe" in a collision, in any vehicle, SUV or otherwise.

Hey, I'm no tree hugger or anything,

Well, thank you very much. I appreciate it.

But if you

The only one I see pulling the "safe" card, is you. You seem to think you know why we buy SUV's, without knowing anything about us or our situations.

not to mention sucking huge somes of gas

The only valid point you've made so far.

(driving the

Who are you to say what I or anyone else, needs?

I think you generalize and assume too much. According to your logic, because some people drive SUV's, that don't "need" them, (in your opinion), then

*all* SUV's should be banned. Perhaps you'd be more comfortable living in a communist country where you are only allowed to have what the government feels that you *need*, if that. I'm glad you weren't in charge back in the late '60's, early '70's when you could buy reasonably priced muscle cars. A lot of today's classic cars would never have been built.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

I bought a station wagon in '93. I wanted it to have a frame under it. New station wagons with frames under them look just like an SUV. ;) (an S-10 blazer in this instance)

Wanted the Ford but while driving it, stopped to check the tire pressure... the "nice vehicle" handle like slippery shit.

The tires weren't low just felt like it! :( Didn't buy it.

My '75 F150 felt much the same until I got rid of the 5.5" wide

15" wheels and replaced them with 7" wide 16's in the early 80's.

Ford with their cheap-ass narrow factory wheels suck donkey dick.

Can I like my old '75 F150 and not like Ford Motor Company both at the same time? :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

situations.

+++++++++++++++Nope, not my logic, just making a statement and a point.
++++perhaps you missed the "this is America" part.
++++I love the old muscle cars. If people bought them when they were new like they do SUVs now, they wouldn't have been so "reasonably priced". Its why you get to pay 30 grand for a Explorer now, a base model at that. You don't think 30 grand is over-priced for a base model "truck"?. I guess there would be alot more classic cars around now if everybody bought one. Or maybe they would just be dime a dozen now, kinda making them classic like a Pinto.(LOL I saw a Pinto wagon the other day, very good condition )

Whats a muscle car lover like you doing driving a SUV for anyway? You should be driving something like a 70 Z28 Camaro or Shelby Mustang ;) ==============

++++Inline above
Reply to
Scott M

I think there are plenty of people living in houses with more then 300 sf of living area per person. Shouldn't there be a law against that? It takes more energy and materials to built big houses for only one or two people to live in and it takes energy to heat and cool houses bigger then people NEED. So people who live in more then 300 sf of living area are supporting terrorists and driving up the price of fuel/energy.

Reply to
AZGuy

There's a fundamental difference that you're obviously unaware of; houses are built with renewable resources and heated and cooled (at least in the PacNW) with hydroelectric or wood. Neither of these resources are affected by foreign intervention nor do they impact the economy to the degree that petroleum does. The economies of the world run on oil and to be gratuitously wasting it on single passenger gas guzzlers will likely have a real negative impact on the quality of your childrens lives. Just a thought.

JD

Reply to
JD

gratuitously

================= Ok, what do you guys think of this? I saw a H2 hummer the other day...remember this is supposed to be the ultimate off road vehicle. This thing was slammed to the ground with 20inch wheels on it. It was lower than most sports cars. I just thought to myself, that idiot just ruined a perfectly good 4x4. Just plain stupid if you ask me......Oh and BTW, those new H2s are just another Tahoe, nothing like the original Hummer. That H2 is another example of overpriced crap for people to buy that have a need to be cool. :)

Reply to
Scott M

What a shocking revelation!

Jack

Reply to
Jack

People and their new toys... Wish I could afford some of those things!!!

The only FLIR I've gotten to play with was the LANTIRN system in my F-15E. Talk about neat stuff there!!

Reply to
Jinxter

snip

Your F-15???

Since when has the guvmint been giving these away?

I WANT one!

HAND

Reply to
H. M. Leary

Wait till you see the new H3 coming out!

mike hunt

Jack wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

It's easy! Go to college, join the Air Force, take the proper training, and they will give you one! Well, they'll give it to the crew chief, and if you're real nice, he'll let you fly it.

Reply to
Bill Funk

Been there, done that! Including a couple of tours in 'Nam.

My crew chief's left hand was deformed in the shape of a coffee mug. My CO made me give the F-4D back however.

HAND

-0 degF here tonight. Will the old Exploder start tomorrow......:)

Reply to
H. M. Leary

It doesn't prove anything. I was simply answering your question.

Consider it a free gift of knowledge from me to you.

JP

Reply to
JP White

Yeah, really. Sign me up for that deal.

Reply to
John R

Precisely. They have to make a judgment call as to what is necessary and what isn't. IMHO they got it wrong. If you don't agree, fine. Try telling that to the relatives of the dead.

It points out a specific vehicle/tire failure combination that was implicated in the fatalities. It does not say whether the Explorer is in 'general' safe or otherwise. It is specific. Saying it is 'safe in it's class' I will not deny, but I do contend that these fatalities were due to a unique set of circumstances; ONE of which was the explorer and NOT other vehicle types.

I have NEVER denied that the tires had a flaw. I mean NEVER. Because I argue that the explorer was contributory you seem to believe that I mean the tire was not at fault. Far from it. It takes a lot to make a vehicle fail, I have listed elsewhere in other threads eight factors that I have gleaned as pertinent to this issue, only ONE of which was the explorer, ONE of is the tire flaw, and so on.

Now you do seem to deny that the explorer has ANY type of weakness with regard to the rollovers that caused the fatalities in question.

No I do not own Firestone stock. Nor have I ever (unless my Mutual funds hold them without my explicit knowledge).

I DO own an explorer which my son drives. It is NOT a train wreck, It's not a road hazard. But the explorer WAS contributory to the accidents with the firestone tires (as well of course were the tires). The Venezuela memo from FORD says so. It's not something I MAKE UP as I go along. But something I observe from reading widespread reports of the accidents over the years, some of which include references to documents subpoenaed at the time.

I do not say these things as someone who 'likes' firestone nor one who 'likes' or 'dislikes' Ford. But I do have 4 fords on my driveway, some of which have Bridgstone tires, some have Michelin, some have Goodyear. (I used to have a car with Firesstone tires too, but I sold that vehicle; which BTW was a Ford).

I am impartial I believe. You wear rosy colored glasses.

JP

Reply to
JP White

Now that it no longer matters. Just what was the top speed of that airplane?

I'd want an A-10 for myself. For some strange reason.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

Well I suppose it's what you're used to. I grew up in England. And believe me an Explorer is BIG to me (compared to a Taurus it's BIG). True, and excursion is Enormous. A Probe is a 'normal' sized vehicle to most Brits, with the requisite performance and handling they need on their narrow twisty roads.

Stricter standards in giving out licenses would be a start in that direction. I was amazed at how EASY it is to pass the US driving test. You basically drive around the block a few times, if that. No Parallel parking, emergency stops, three point turns etc. etc. The US license in comparison to the UK license is a license to kill.

JP

Reply to
JP White

You are simply rationalizing to excuse your own excess while damming other for theirs. If people who are using wood and hydro power did not waste it on larger houses then they need, that wood and hydro power could be used elsewhere to provide energy that would otherwise have to be supplied by oil. So it really makes no difference. ANYONE living in more then 300 sf per person is supporting terrorists the same as people who drive gas guzzlers are.

Reply to
AZGuy

Oh, my. When facts fail, try emotion. Your opinion is great, it just defies reality.

The tire implicated was found to be faulty. It was manufactured with a defect. Get over it.

Then you simply deny reality. No one else can find this set of circumstances you claim exists.

Yet no one else finds this mystical quality of the Explorer to be a problem. I wonder why you cling to this so strongly? Got stock in Bridgestone?

No, what I'm saying is the same thing all the other investigators are saying: the problem was Firestone's.

Then what's the deal? Why are you so eager to find blame when no one else can?

How, exactly? By using Firestone tires?

Ford, along with everyone else at the time, didn't know WHAT the problem was. Except Firestone, and they lied. To everyone.

Sure. You find fault where no one else does, even those who did the investigations. What makes you more knowledgeable then the NHTSA?

Reply to
Bill Funk