U-Haul bans Ford Explorer

Page 4 of 5

Hey, I didn't try to start a political debate. And this isn't about passing laws.
It's just that testing a 17-year-old's ability to parallel-park doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they know how to do anything ELSE on the road.
Lane discipline, stopping distances, defensive driving, SIGNALS, and simple COURTESY just don't seem to be a part of any driving class anymore. I had to learn how to drive a manual-transmission car in driving school. Now, automatic-everything Buick Park Avenues seem to be the brain-dead car that the brain-deads are teaching the brain-deads how to drive.
And I'm not affiliated with whatever party you probably think I am affiliated with. I vote for the best CANDIDATE, not along party lines, and almost never for incumbants. Sorry if that destroyed any stereotype you had planned for me...
    Greetings and Salutations.
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:11:23 -0500, "JonnyCab"

demostrated skill needed to blast 3000+lbs of steel and plastic along the road at high rates of speed. Most of the drivers out there seem to have almost no clue about why it is a GOOD idea to slow down in hazardous areas (wet, slick roads; construction areas, etc). I have thought for years that the problems with drivers in states is NOT that they lack mandatory insurance...but that they lack mandatory, extensive, driver's education.     In any case, I suspect that the quality of drivers is simply a
reflection of the general deterioration of society. We are becoming a less polite, less pleasant, less tolerant society that has a sad lack of a sense of humor and perspective and of ingrained social values of how we should treat each other.     Regards     Dave Mundt

Well.... you cry bullshit and don't offer up any viable alternative..... at least others are offerring up suggestions rather than just pot-stirring.
When it comes to traffic mishaps, it usually takes "two to tango"...... both parties have some sort of culpability in the event though it is the action (or omission) of one party that set up the whole deal. One person turns out of a side street with less than a comfortable margin - bad move #1. Driver approaching is going to prove a point and doesn't lift off the throttle - bad move #2.
I just came back from Edmonton... driving there isn't a commute... it's a competition and I'm fairly sure it's like that all over.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I think it would bear looking at the accident report..... I know that the couple of accidents I've been in had me contributing some of the circumstance..... that is to say that I didn't make the first wrong move but I certainly didn't stop the second wrong move either.

For the most part I couldn't agree with you more but there are times when "the good guy's side of it" is less than 1%.
If I'd have known "the gal with no brakes" had no brakes I could have stopped short of her left hand turn path but didn't. Spooked the crap out the folks waiting for the light! :) ...when I tried avoiding the collision and using all the room I had. I also had someone following me through the intersection but it would be up to them to stop short of me right? :)
I do believe it's one of the true exceptions to "our" rule but only because of true mechanical trouble changed it.
When my girl friend got ran over by the large-tired Ram, I wasn't there but always wondered how much could have been changed if she'd have been an off road motorcycle rider and learned to react. Just mentioning the idea is enough to get my head bit off. ;)
She was messed up! No shit, she damn near died because some girls were fighting over which CD was going in the player next.
Alvin in AZ

But still more rules and regulations isn't going to change human nature. And, are you willing to work for and feed and house those that will be sitting home because they aren't allowed to drive under your new "get tough" rules?
Alvin (libertarian and general pain in the ass)
I think you just proved *my* point.
why would the insurance companies want to stop that? They make tons of money off of accidents, they love it. Sad but true.
Nobody is going to learn how to drive by reading a book or getting told what to do. They have to learn on their own or with somebody while they are driving, and it doesnt only take a day or two it takes a long time.
Heck when I started driving I had my father come with me anywhere I went just to have him along, every move i made he said "you could have done this or that" I thought about those things and all of this experience (Most coming from his experiences) helps me to be a better USA driver.
I beleive the core of the problem is that parents do not want to help their kids to learn to drive well. They would much rather buy them an automobile and isolate themselvs from the picture. Again, sad but true
Ken

The CORE problem is that the parents themselves don't know how to drive.
--
Steve
=========

BINGO. Dad doesn't use signals. Is he going to tell his son how to?
And when did ANY parent ever teach a kid about lane discipline or stopping distances?
*I* had to perform ALL of those tests....and of course we drive on the *right* side of the road.

ANyone who makes such blanket statements is a troll.
because

Sorry but, I was just trying to make a statement about a large percentage of the people that buy SUV's.
I agree. Look at all the soccer moms on cell phones while doing their hair or makeup while driving on of those behemoths. Just like everything else, the few that make the bad impression make it bad for the rest. We've all seen good and bad drivers in everything on the road. I just hope that when I'm getting the short end of the stick in a 'situation', I'll make it through so I can give proper pennance to the offender...

Check this out... I was taking the wife to work yesterday. Just after I got back on the road, an 'older' model Explorer turned out of a side street. The vehicle had a lean toward the left front corner. Why? The tire had *MAYBE* 10 psi in it! Driving on a rolling flat tire! That's the level of concern with too many folks nowadays. Get in, turn the key... If it starts, it must be good!

nightvision unit. It was amazing how many vehicles you would see with one tire alot hotter than the rest rolling down the freeway.
People and their new toys... Wish I could afford some of those things!!!
The only FLIR I've gotten to play with was the LANTIRN system in my F-15E. Talk about neat stuff there!!

Your F-15???
Since when has the guvmint been giving these away?
I WANT one!
HAND
--
Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:35:44 GMT, "H. M. Leary"

It's easy! Go to college, join the Air Force, take the proper training, and they will give you one! Well, they'll give it to the crew chief, and if you're real nice, he'll let you fly it.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Been there, done that! Including a couple of tours in 'Nam.
My crew chief's left hand was deformed in the shape of a coffee mug. My CO made me give the F-4D back however.
HAND -0 degF here tonight. Will the old Exploder start tomorrow......:)
--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

I'd want an A-10 for myself. For some strange reason. <eg>
Plasyd