UK Escort paint matching...

There's a rather nasty section of rust bubbling up on the rear offside wheel-arch on my escort. (1994).
My dad's a welder, and is going to weld a replacement section of steel over
the top. The biggest dilemma however will be getting a good paint match.
It's a metallic dark red, so my questions are these:
1. Any ideas what sort of paint would be on the car from manufacture? i.e. Two pack or acrylic
2. Any tips/sources of close matching paints for this kind of task?
Cheers.

The auto paint outlet should be able to tell you what you need, from the paint code and year, make, model... they can in the states, anyway. I doubt you will need a two-part for that job.
you pay..DEAL with it!