UK Fiesta Brake Pads.

Hi,I have just renewed the front brake pads on my wife's 1998 ' R ' reg Fiesta 1.3 Encore.The original pads were really worn down.Since fitting the new pads there is a grinding noise coming
from the brakes when driving.It sounds like the calipers are rubbing on the wheels,maybe because the new pads are so thick that the calipers are being forced outwards.Thought about filing the pads down a bit.Has anyone had to do this? Also since the new pads were fitted,the brake pedal seems spongy and I have to press harder to brake.I did not touch the master cylinder at all,so there can't be air in the system. Thanks. John
has it got the original wheels on from the factory?
i had to do my mates car about 15 yr ago and had this problem after i changed the pads cos incorrect alloy wheels were fitted. didnt have a file with me took ages using just sandpaper...
provided there is no brake fliud leaks looks like a brake fliud bleed is needed , with the age why not go for a fliud change anyway?

Yes,they are the original steel wheels.Never had this problem when changing pads on other cars including some fords.

Yeah,might give it a go. Thanks. John
hiya,
are the disks worn? you'll get some noise and spongyness until the pads bed in anyway, usually about 50 miles or so,

Sorted it mate,sanded the pads a little and they are ok.The disks are in pretty good nick for the age of the car.One more fault tho, when I brake for a junction etc,the dash lights come on and the engine dies,but as soon as I lift the clutch it judders back into life.It usually does this during a long journey,say after 5-6 miles. Someone said it could be the idle control valve,but I don't know what I am looking for.Any ideas?
Thanks. John
hiya,
check the easy stuff first, look for air leaks and for clean filters and plugs, especially if you consider a long journey to be 5 miles the plugs could be fouled up.